Moderator Control Panel ]

Lunatic Asylum Records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

RE: Lunatic Asylum Records

Postby Dru » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Yes, all the records for Hatton are at Warwick records office. I was there on Tuesday as my 4 X great grandfather died there in 1880. The death & removal records will tell you the persons first date of admittance and also their patient number. Once you have this then you can look at their case notes and admittance forms. I was amazed at what good condition these records are in. I also found the burial entry and the map of the graveyard. There are lots of records for the hospital including maintenance records, staff records as well as patient details. However, if your ancestor is recorded in a book where the later records are less than 100 years old, you won't be able to view them.
The people at Warwick are really helpful if you manage to get there.
Dru
Researching: Johnson, Shaw, Burditt, Bodell, Thompson (Warwickshire), Hyett (Gloucestershire), Mottram, Lunt (Chesire), Dawson, James (unknown area)
Dru

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 pm

I have records less than a hundred years old - from 1939 in fact. I wasn't able to look at them in the book; but I [b][u]was[/u][/b] able to send for copies from LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) - once I had proved with a death certificate that my uncle was dead. The copies included a clear photograph as well which we are thrilled about.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby bridan90 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi there

My grand uncle's wife was a patient for 14 years Storthes Hall Asylum in Hudersfield, she died there in 1944. I wrote to the health authority there and they copied Lillian's notes for me. It should be no problem getting hold of the records but I would like to warn you that they can make very distressing reading and it makes it all the more difficult when you know your related to the person in question.

Lillian's story was particularly sad but incredibly interesting and I must say it also made me very angry. I have a web page dedicated entirely to her at the following address.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~briby/Many%20faces%20of%20Lillian%20Clare.htm
bridan90

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 am

Your webpage was very interesting. Your great-aunt seems to have been very unfairly treated. I hope that sort of treatment wouldn't happen nowadays. I would imagine that nowadays staff would be able to check someone's background more easily than they would have been able to do then. I suppose that they were not aware of her career as an actress and writer and showed no interest in checking. Perhaps if other patients claimed to be something they weren't, as a result of their illness, they assumed she was displaying the same symptoms as them.
I found "Sytemised Delusional Insanity" defined as a form of schizophrenia. It sounds like the staff mistakenly thought she was suffering from schizophrenia not bi-polar. That would explain their description of her as suffering from "delusions of persecution and grandeur".
I am not an expert however I think they made a simple misdiagnosis of her illness and she did not get the treatment she needed in order to get better. Treating someone with bi-polar for schizophrenia would be as effective as treating someone with a broken leg for a cold.
ksouthall

Previous

Return to General research queries