Moderator Control Panel ]

Martin Shaw's episode

Discuss the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring the likes of Julie Walters, Brian Blessed and Billy Connolly

Martin Shaw's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:04 am

Hello folks,

Tomorrow on BBC One, Brummie-born actor Martin Shaw heads back to his home city to investigate the life of his elusive grandfather, who 'walked out' on the family and never returned. He also delves into the archives and discovers his ancestors' links with Birmingham's industrial past.

As ever, post your thoughts on the episode below!

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Martin Shaw's episode

Postby Bevmawer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Very interesting and informative gave me a few ideas of where to look for my father in the armed forces bx

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Bevmawer

Postby phsvm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 am

I enjoyed this episode although I didn't think it wasn't, for want of a better word, very 'deep'. Looking for his grandfather all seemed a bit too recent and when he heard his father's half sister was still alive (and only about 7 years older than him!) I almost felt I'd slipped into an episode of 'Long Lost Family'.

All that said I enjoyed it and the programme seems to be back on track showing more than one ancestor and from his paternal maternal lines.

Let's hope the rest of the series stays back on track.
phsvm

Postby Tabithabenef » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:51 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. Lets hope the rest of them are like the last two

At last back to the better format
Tabithabenef

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:53 pm

As a Brummie myself, I really enjoyed this episode. I felt that it did justice to both the subject and to the city of Birmingham. Perhaps the Genealogy was a little on the 'light' side, but there was plenty of historical context here, helping those who do not know this wonderfully vibrant and very undervalued centre of industry (the 'City of 1000 Trades') to get a feel for the place. Many thanks.
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Markymoomoo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:14 pm

I was looking forward to Martin's episode - I wasn't disappointed. His reaction to what he discovered was quite touching (I don't do touching normally - so to speak..) and it was nice he found a relative who was able to share some photos and give Martin a bit more background info.
Markymoomoo

Postby Bevmawer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:35 am

Markymoomoo wrote:I was looking forward to Martin's episode - I wasn't disappointed. His reaction to what he discovered was quite touching (I don't do touching normally - so to speak..) and it was nice he found a relative who was able to share some photos and give Martin a bit more background info.

I had my own pr conceived idea about Birmingham and then I saw the courthouse which changed my view .... What a beautiful building and so lucky to escape being bombed in the war. No doubt you have more wonderful buildings like that. My respect for the city has grown bx

Bevmawer

Postby shirlwain » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Love this episode, he was very humble.

shirlwain

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2014