Moderator Control Panel ]

What are these uniforms?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

What are these uniforms?

Postby glynaunac » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Would someone be able to help me with this photo. I am trying to find out what uniforms the boys in this photo are wearing. I believe it was possibly taken in Newport, Monmouthshire around 1908. They are possibly cadets in the Fire Auxiliary but they seem to be carrying wooden rifles.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glyn
Attachments
Wilfred Sydney Davies (Cadets).jpg
Wilfred Sydney Davies (Cadets).jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1866 times
glynaunac

Re: What are these uniforms?

Postby brunes08 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm not an expert on these things but the boys look as though they are members of a school army cadet force. The cadet force organisation came into being in 1859. There are a plenty of sites on the internet that might help you identify them. Have you looked at the local newspapers? Such a photo may well have been taken for a particular purpose.
brunes08

Postby g w aldous » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:04 am

The uniforms are victorian Royal Artillery, They are probably in the Army Cadets.
g w aldous

Postby jeffward » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 pm

I agree it is Victorian Royal Artillery uniform, but there are inconsistencies. The uniforms don't all have the same number of buttons and the belts are worn in various ways .And I'm pretty sure the style of cap worn by the sergeant was n't around until after WW1. It almost looks like a guardsman's cap with its cut back peak. The photo could well be that of some sort of marching or display team from between the wars dressed up in Victorian uniforms. A final thought, they all seem to have far to much hair for an army unit!!. Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Return to Photo identification