Moderator Control Panel ]

New Ancestry Format

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

New Ancestry Format

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:48 am

Has anyone else used the new Ancestry format? I'm not sure I prefer it to the old one. Also there appears to be a glitch when trying to submit an amendment (which I use alot!). The "Name" button no longer allows you to do this :(
I don't appear to be able to change back to the old version on my desktop either, luckily my iPad still shows the old format.
coopernicola

Re: New Ancestry Format

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Coopernicola,

I think the correction methods in Ancestry depend on the records. If they have been produced by Ancestry themselves ( e.g. Census), you can change most details. But if the records have been produced/supplied by someone else ( e.g. LMA) then the mechanism is different, because if Ancestry amended them, the corrections would get overwritten, next time they are updated by whoever supplied them!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

New Ancestry Format

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:01 pm

I didn't realise that Mike, however it was names on census returns which I've been able to submit corrections for in the past. You can still click on them but the pencil button does not appear!
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm sure I corrected some census names a day or two ago, under the new format. I used the Add Alternative Data link from the index entry - the one that shows the full household on a census. Different censuses use slightly different correction forms. Some show all the items that can be corrected at once. Some require you to select which item to correct from a drop down list.

I have a suspicion that you are starting your corrections from a different place???

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Coopernicola,

I've since discovered it also depends on which PC/Tablet you are using. When you view a census Image on a PC, the record data at bottom of screen, (click to show), can be amended by clicking on field you wish to change, (Age, birthplace etc). However, when viewed on an iPad, although the same record data is on display, It seems it cannot be amended! I've tried all manner of tapping, but I can't get amendment dialogue box to appear.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby coopernicola » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks Mike, however I knew iPad amendments did not work. I'm an iMac user and it's always been OK in the oast just doesn't work since the update.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:21 pm

I'll give that a go AdrianB38.
Mike, it's worked on my iMac until the update. You are correct it's never worked on an iPad, which I'm running the old format on!!!
Nicola
coopernicola

Return to Genealogy chat