Moderator Control Panel ]

Stumped!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Stumped!

Postby kat1723 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 pm

I have a whole family, allegedly, from Birkenhead that all got married but were never born! They are a family of Wilkinsons - father Thomas was a painter (journeyman), mother either Lily or Elizabeth (possibly Henshall) and brood; Georgina (b. abt 1880), Thomas (b. abt 1882), Bertha (b.abt 1887), Gertrude (b. abt 1888), Hetty (b. abt 1891) and Basil (b. 1895 in Farnworth - he's the only one that was born!). I'm missing a Joe and, possibly, a Florrie. They definitely all existed as they are remembered by living relatives and I have photos to prove they were not a figment of someone's imagination. Can't find any births or anything remotely promising in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. All clues welcome! Kat [&:]
kat1723

RE: Stumped!

Postby ksouthall » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:36 am

There are several possibilities:-

1) Their births may have been registered in a neighbouring registration district.
2) If their parents weren't married, they may have been registered under their mother's maiden name and taken on their father's name later.
3) They could have been the product of an earlier marriage/relationship of Lily/Elizabeth, so may have been registered with a different surname altogether.
4) Any other reason I have not thought of.

Do you have a marriage certificate for Thomas and Lily/Elizabeth? If so, what information does that give?

Also, what information is on Basil's birth certificate please?

Any other info you have would be really helpful as I will then be able to look for them on Ancestry.co.uk for you.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:53 am

There are two Farnworths. Were your ancestors from Farnworth near Runcorn, Cheshire or Bolton, Lancashire?

I have found a Joseph (b. abt. 1894), Basil (b. abt. 1896) and Herbert (b. abt. 1887). Could Herbert be Bertha? All 3 of them were in Chorlton Union Workhouse, Didsbury.
All were born in Manchester.
ksouthall

Postby kat1723 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 am

Thanks for your responses. Yes, I found Joe, Basil and Herbert in 1901 - never crossed my mind that Herbert could be Bertha. It's the Manchester bit that makes me sceptical. After a long search, I did find Hetty and Georgina in 1901 (by which time Georgina had married William Weaver). I also found them, plus Gertrude in 1911 - all saying they were born in Birkenhead. Hetty's, Thomas Jnr's and Bertha's marriage certs state they are all from Birkenhead, as well, and Thomas Jnr and Bertha state their father as Thomas, a painter. (Bertha's indicates Thomas was deceased - her marriage was in 1909.)

Thomas Jnr's army records state he was born in Birkenhead; his next of kin at time of joining in 1903 was Lily (mother living in Colwyn Bay) and brother (Joseph living in Middlewich). (Incidentally, Thomas Jnr joined the Royal Irish Rifles - clue or red herring?) Basil's birth cert is at odds with the mother, as she is stated as being Elizabeth, formerly Henshall. The father's name is also at odds with the marriage certs as it is down as John...but his occupation is a house painter, journeyman! Basil was born Basil Wilfred Wilkinson in Farnworth, Bolton.

I've spent months searching for this lot and am, now, going round in circles! It's actually Gertrude I'm interested in as she is my great grandmother. I know where she was and what she was doing post 1911 but not before. (I did find a Gertrude and Bertha in 1901 - in the Manchester Certified Industrial School Girls Branch - both state birth places as Birkenhead and the ages fit. Manchester record office next stop, I suppose.) But, strange I can't find them in the 1891 census.

Once again, thanks - any clues much appreciated.
kat1723

Return to General research queries