Moderator Control Panel ]

Best Yet

Talk about Kevin Whately's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

RE: Best Yet

Postby paulberyl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Katherine,

It is possible that my Liscard ancestor was a nanny. Unfortunately with the name of Jones it is not the easiest job in the world in trying to identify her although I think I have found her on an earlier census in Cheshire where it appears she was a servant and possibly a nurse/nanny. It is possible that she became a nanny to my 3xgreat grandfather afer his first wife died. Unfortunately with all this happening between censuses it is not something I am able to prove one way or another.

Olly Whateley did not have any connection with Kevin Whately's ancestors - I have checked. The statement he gave to the Police was very enlightening as it gave a full employment history from the time he left school up until the time he entered Charles Lindbergh's employ. I also found out that the FBI had asked Scotland Yard to investigate the backgrounds of Lindbergh's English servants and that that request had been passed onto the Birmingham City Police. Regretably I have not been able to track down the English files, assuming they still exist.

I have never used researchers in the past, I prefer to undertake my research personally. However in the case of Jamaica I think that if I am to take this branch of the family any further back I am going to have to use local researchers. My main problem is that I only know that she was born in Jamaica, I have no idea whereabout in Jamaica and therefore just how easy it would be to identify the family.

Paul
paulberyl

RE: Best Yet

Postby ksouthall » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:10 am

Hello Paul,
I agree with you about preferring to trace ancestors myself, even if it does take the next 50 years to do it. If I get stuck going backwards, I usually trace side branches to find out more about the social history of my family. It helps identify intermarrying between families and gives a much broader view of the villages and surrounding areas where my ancestors lived.
I think one of my great-great-grandmothers was a nanny for her future husband's children after his first wife died but, as in the case of your ancestor, it happened between censuses so would be very difficult to prove.
Perhaps you could have a holiday in Jamaica to try and find out about that branch of your family? It would be a good excuse for a nice holiday.
Katherine

ksouthall

Previous

Return to Kevin Whately