Moderator Control Panel ]

Two Marriage Cermonies Stobie/Barnes

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Two Marriage Cermonies Stobie/Barnes

Postby s.stobie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 pm

My great-grandparents, Annie Barnes, spinster of ‘full’ age, and William Walter Stobie, a bachelor servant of ‘full’ age, were married at the parish church in the Parish of St James’ Norland in the County of Middlesex on 28th August, 1864 by Ralph Buckmaster, Curate. The residence of both parties is 11 Queen’s Row and the occupation of the bride’s father, Edmund Barnes, is given as farmer. The occupation of the groom’s father, William Walter Stobie, is given as baker. The couple went through a second ‘ceremony’ at Christ Church in the Parish of Paddington on 2nd January, 1865. Both parties now lived in Leinster Street and both of their ages are given as ‘of age.’ The occupation of the bride’s father, Edmund, is now given as ‘Farm Bailiff.’ William Walter Stobie (Senior) is again described as a baker. The ‘ceremony’ was conducted by Frederic S. May. An Edmund Barnes, born about 1804, features along with his wife Elizabeth (Betty) Barnes in the Old Sodbury Census of 1841. The first mention of Mary Barnes is in the 1841 Census for Old Sudbury when her age is given as four years. By the time of the 1851 Census, Mary A Barnes is employed as a servant in Bristol St Thomas Parish, Gloucestershire. An Ann Barnes, born about 1837 in Chipping Sodbury , and living at 2 White Houses, Nore Street appears in the 1861 Census for Tower Hamlet in Hackney. After her ‘marriages’ in 1864 and 1865, Annie Stobie and three daughters appear in the 1871 Census for 22 North Street, St George Hanover Square, London. She is described as the ‘Wife’ and not the ‘Head.’ By the time of the 1881 Census the family is reunited and living 166 Top Street in New Bradwell, Newport Pagnell. The death of Mary Ann Stobie in 1921 was recorded by my grandfather, also named William Walter Stobie and living in Thrapston Northants, at Potterspury, Buckinghamshire. A William Stobie, aged between 15 and 19, appears together with his father Thomas and two siblings in the 1841 Census for White House Street, in the Borough of Lambeth. There is an entry in the 1851 Census for St Saviour Union Workhouse,Southwark Christ Church for a William Stobie, baker journeyman, born in Christ Church, Surrey. There is a slight chance that he could be the father of a William Stobie born about 1842 and described as a ‘Pauper’ in the 1851 Census for Norwood Workhouse, Lambeth - birthplace not known. The 1861 Census for St Saviours Union Workhouse contains a reference to William Stobie, labourer aged 33 and born in Southwark, Bermondsey. I can find no entry for William Walter Stobie in the 1871 Census. In the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Census his place of birth is given as Bow, Middx. or Bow, London. William Walter died, aged 65 years, in Wolverton Station, Potterspury, Bucks. on 14th November, 1906. St Clement and St James and St James, Paddington Parish Churches, whilst sympathetic, have been unable to assist in determining why my great grandparents went through two marriage ceremonies. Could anyone please help?
s.stobie

RE: Two Marriage Cermonies Stobie/Barnes

Postby storyteller » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 am

Don't have an answer to why you relations married twice.

But to the 1871 census, is it possible that William served in the army? Or maybe he was imprisoned? I found a missing g.grandfather who was in the Royal Navy, he was in Hong Kong in 1871.

Researching :- Kelley, Greenwood, Buckley, Loring,

Gooch, Rogers, Nicklen, Clarke, Hull and more ,lol
storyteller

Postby Editor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Have you seen our March issue? The star letter by Paul Robinson gives a very good answer as to why an ancestor who was in the army might have two weddings.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby s.stobie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:00 am

Dear storyteller and editor,
Thanks for your interest. So far as I know my great grandfather was never in the Salvation Army or any of the armed forces. As for being in prison. this could be a possibility, but his name does not appear anywhere on the search of the 1871 Census records held by Ancestry.co.uk.
Regards,
S.Stobie
P.S I am a subscriber to the magazine and really enjoy each issue.
s.stobie

Postby storyteller » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:33 am

Please don't forget to make allowances for spelling errors. A great, great grandmother Blanch Buckley was proving very hard to find until I scrolled down all the lists of names with variants of Buckley till I found her , many many pages later, named as Blanch Buckle. Gook luck with finding him in 1871 [:)].

I need to finish reading March issue to find out why army peeps might have two weddings, seems I missed that bit!
Researching :- Kelley, Greenwood, Buckley, Loring,

Gooch, Rogers, Nicklen, Clarke, Hull and more ,lol
storyteller

Return to General research queries