Moderator Control Panel ]

What happened to my ancestors?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What happened to my ancestors?

Postby richardbazeley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm

All

My great grandfather Edgar Graham Powell was born 20 March 1889 at 157 Gipps Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (I have his birth certificate)

His brother Henry Harvey Powell was born 8th December 1887 at 1 Glenview Terrace, Ice Road, Paddington, New South Wales, Australia (I have his birth certificate too and the picutre is of him)

On both birth certificates it gives parents names as Henry Powell (senior) born abt 1862 and Maria Harvey born abt 1861.

I also have the marriage certificate for Henry Powell (senior) and Maria Harvey married 21 Aug 1886 in the Wesleyan Church, Princes Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

Henry Powell (sr) also appears in the Sands Directories of 1888 in Ice [i][b]Street[/b][/i], Paddington and again in 1889 at Ice Road, Paddington.

I lose track of them at this point (1889) and they do not appear in the 1891 England census (the NSW 1891 census doesn't contain names) and the next trace of the family appears in the 1901 England Census (Class: [i]RG13[/i]; Piece: [i]354[/i]; Folio: [i]66[/i]; Page: [i]12[/i].) at 53 High Street, Poplar.

In this Census return the two children Edgar Graham and Henry Harvey Powell are present but noticably their parents Henry Powell (sr) and Maria Harvey are missing. Instead the two boys live with their Aunt Alice Kennard and their two cousins Elsie Kennard and William Horace Kennard.

I have found a marriage of Alice Powell and William Henry Kennard 18th July 1896.
So this suggests Alice Kennard was originally a Powell and most probably the sister of Henry Powell (sr).

I have absolutely no idea what happened to Henry Powell (sr) or Maria Harvey. I have found no death record for them in either NSW or England.
I also have no idea how the two boys got from NSW to England or when this happened.

If anyone has experience of Australian records and can assist me in solving this little mystery I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to know what happened to them.

Thanks
Richard Bazeley
richardbazeley

Return to General research queries