Moderator Control Panel ]

Never throw away!

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Never throw away!

Postby janiej » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:57 am

Recovering from an operation, I weeded every copy of WDYTYA magazine, pulling out articles of interest and filing them in binders (yes, I was bored!). Why would I want West Midlands Nailmakers in the July 2011 issue?

Today, in a coffee break moment, I entered the details of my husband's 2xgreat grandfather into FMP, just on the off chance that some new records would break a brick wall. He was a carpenter, had moved to London from Wolverhampton by 1835, married, and never went back. Being blessed with one of the most common names in the country, I stood little chance of finding him - or so I thought.

You can guess the rest! There he was, baptised in Wombourne (where he had said he was born on one census), there were his parents, married in Wolverhampton, and there was his father, buried in Wombourne - a nail maker!
janiej

Re: Never throw away!

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 am

Janiej,

I'm with you 100%!

That is why I was so annoyed when magazines (wdytya included) stopped supplying data on cover CD's, replacing them with on-line data.

What they failed to realise, is that CD's have a relatively long life, whereas the on-line equivalent is only available for a year at most! One never knows when the data would become useful, perhaps 5-10 years down the line. I suppose one could always download the data, but then one is cluttering up one's PC with data that will be forever redundant.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: Never throw away!

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15 pm

The absence of CD's was an on going saga at one point. I have many of them and it is wonderful to be able to dib in and out at leisure.

Can I add, also think twice when you see something of interest and decide to walk on by? Some years ago I was in an antique shop, when I saw a pile of documents heaped very untidily on a chair. I could see they were old and closer inspection revealed at least 50+ wills, indentures, conveyances and other legal items, going back to the 19th century and beyond. They were priced at £4 each, which at the time for me was a lot, unless any of the documents meant anything to me and it would have taken me hours to go through them all: so I walked on by!

I now think that I should have bundled them all up and gone and made an offer, all the owner could have done was to refuse it. They may not have had any significance for me, but someone might have been glad of them and I could perhaps have sold them on for a new pounds, so not made a loss.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
KayFarndon

Return to Genealogy chat