Moderator Control Panel ]

Medal ribbon help

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Medal ribbon help

Postby Melvyn Harrison » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 am

I am trying to identify the medal ribbon that my very young grandfather is shown wearing sometime around 1914.

[image]local://682/DB52553338094ECC876D46B9486EF780.jpg[/image]
Melvyn Harrison

RE: Medal ribbon help

Postby paulberyl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:33 am

If no-one on this forum is able to help you can I suggest that you post a copy of your photograph on [link=http://www.1914-1918.net/]http://www.1914-1918.net/[/link] which has some very knowledgeable military historians.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby mrsaverage40s » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:16 am

Have you tried to find his WW1 Medal Index Card ? That should list what medals he had. If you post his name someone may find it for you.
mrsaverage40s

Postby valkay » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 pm

As he is not an officer it is not the M.C.His tunic is an unmarked other ranks. The ribbon is placed higher than normal which leads me to suspect it might be a non-military award.Posssibilities are.
1] Medal for South Africa 1899--1902. Given to members of the St John Ambulance Brigade. This medal which is of bronze bears the bust of Edward V11 on one side and on the other, the Arms of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, with the words "Sth Africa 1899--1902" above and the motto -Pro Fide, Pro Utilitate,Hominum, on the scroll beneath. Awarded to members of the SJAB who served in Sth Africa during the war, also to those who had to do with the despatch of medical comforts, stores, etc.
Other possibilities are, 2] Badge of the Order of the League of Mercy. 3] Khedive's Sudan Medal.
Do you know what unit he was in?
valkay

Medal ribbon help

Postby Melvyn Harrison » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks for that Valkay. Your comment about a non-military medal is very interesting and an aspect that I have thought about in the past but I simply cannot prove it.

He was a Private in the Rifle Brigade and served in France / Belgium.

I cannot find his Service record or Pension Papers. I do however have his original Medical Papers but they mention nothing about any medals.

I have his Medal Card which clearly shows that received only the three standard medals. He also got the Clasp & Roses. I also know that he was invalided out of the Rifle Brigade for which the Card also shows that he got the SWB.

Unfortunately, it would appear that all his medals were either thrown away or sold (probably thrown away knowing my ancestors).

Regards
Melvyn Harrison

Return to Photo identification