Moderator Control Panel ]

Rotherham pre 1800s???? (PLEASE help me???)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Rotherham pre 1800s???? (PLEASE help me???)

Postby Byron130 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and don't really know what i'm doing!

I've been researching my family for 9 years and have finally got back to 1808-ish!
But i'm really stuck and don't know where to go from here.

Basically my 4x great grandparents Henry Morley and Elizabeth James were married in Rotherham on 25th May 1828 but this is all I know, how do I find the names of their parents? I have no marriage certificate, I got this information from a CD Rom containing parish marriages of Rotherham.

Would there be an actual document on film/microfishe in the Rotherham library that would have more info than just their names and date of marriage?

I've also tried to find a birth/baptism for Henry online but nothing comes up, so could that also be on film (he was born in Greasbrough in approx 1803).

All the info to this point has been done online and i've never had to look through parish records in the library before, so i'm very confused as to where to start.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanx
Byron
[:(]
Byron130

RE: Rotherham pre 1800s???? (PLEASE help me???)

Postby ksouthall » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 am

You could try the Rotherham Family History Society on the link below. They might be able to give advice on where records are held. The link is:-

[link=http://www.rotherhamfhs.co.uk/]http://www.rotherhamfhs.co.uk/[/link]

I have just looked at Ancestry.co.uk and there is a Harriet James, born about 1826, living with or next to Henry Morley and his family. If she is the sister of Elizabeth, and if she married after 1841, you may be able to find out her marriage details and therefore get details of her father's name. There is also a William James, aged 25 (b. bt. 1815), coal miner, on the other side of the page. He may also be a relation of Elizabeth's. It may be worth trying to find Harriet James and William James in later censuses to see if that gives you any clues.

I noticed in the 1861 Census, that Henry Morley was a coal miner and a Methodist minister. If he was a Methodist it is possible that his parents were Methodists so his baptism could be in the [b]non-conformist registers[/b] for the area. If so, this would explain why there is a marriage reference on the IGI but no Baptism reference.

In the 1871 Census, Henry is described as [b]infirm[/b]. There may be medical records about him.

A member of the Rotherham Family History Society is already researching the Morley name, although it may be a different family to yours. They are trying to find out about the following 2 people:-

Benjamin Morley 1817 - 1900
Emily Morley 1867 - 1954 (possibly the daughter of Benjamin).

I hope the above is helpful. I will have a look and see if I can find out any more for you.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:03 am

Check pages 63-65 of the March WDYTYA? magazine for the best websites for tracing Methodist ancestors. There are sites which may help you trace BMD records and also sites which can help you trace Methodist ministers. Hopefully one of these will help you trace Henry Morley's parents.
ksouthall

Postby Byron130 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:33 pm

Thank you so much for this!!

I had tried emailing the rotherham family history society but never received a reply. I saw the names Ben and Emily Morley mentioned too but have, as yet, not found these people or the dates associated with them, in my tree but i've not discounted them by any means.

I'll start looking in the areas you've suggested, thank you again for going out of your way to help me, its so nice to know there's someone out there with advice, I was beginning to think I had to accept that was as far as I could get!

Thanks again!

Byron130

Return to General research queries