Moderator Control Panel ]

Need your best tips for research in UK

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Need your best tips for research in UK

Postby vicky.Ball.25493 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:06 pm

I did say that not every one followed it and I only said it might help. I was not saying it should be your only guide or relied upon But I have branches of my family in England that have used it in the mid 1800s pretty much to the rule. It is more interesting than anything and it may tell you that the fathers father could be .. but obviously you would have to check that out properly.
vicky.Ball.25493

Postby Sylcec » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:06 am

Going back to "clawfive's" original question - the WDYTYA website actually has its own getting started guide, which understandably focusses on UK research, here: http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/getting-started/starting-your-family-history
Sylcec

Postby petawvm » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm

I always use the full name along with their birth and death dates. It makes a search so much easier. Also, I always use a woman's maiden name, rather than her married name. With so many cousins and siblings in tthe same area, it's a nightmare having to be super-careful with record keeping! Good luck!
petawvm

Postby SoozOne » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am

I was keeping married women records the same way ... but found duplications of wives' first names with different branches of the same family name. I had to keep backtracking to locate which cousin was married to which other cousin. I now use their first name, married surname then nee and maiden surname, plus birth, marriage, death dates.
For known children I add in brackets (dtr or son: then father .. surname & initial + mother ... maiden surname & initial). In one village I have multiple same surname cousins with many offspring, who not only intermarried cousin to cousin, but also skipped generations and married (where the youngest child of one generation was actually younger than the eldest child of the next level down).
Its a bit extra initial typing, but so much 'easier' to track and cross-check.
To complicate things more in the earliest Census records sets of families live next door to each other, and I also find grandchildren apparently being raised by same surname grandparents with no trace or apparent record of their actual parents.
I imagine that back then everyone knew precisely everyone's relationship to each other. But at this distance, both in centuries and sorting it out from where I now live on the other side of the planet, it can be extraordinarily complicated.
I have had a go at mind-map wall charting, colour linking the multiple relationships to get my head around them, but the chart ended up looking like a demented spider's web. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat