Moderator Control Panel ]

Genealogy courses

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Genealogy courses

Postby pollymac » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 pm

I am interested in learning more about genealogy by studying online courses. I am considering Pharos Tutors or the Online Scottish Genealogy Classes from Strathclyde University. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of either of these?
pollymac

Re: Genealogy courses

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:15 pm

I don't know anything about these courses except what is online. I think you need to decide what it is you want to know and on particular which country as there are fundamental differences in English/Welsh and Scottish genealogy and it all comes, of course, at a price. There are plenty of books around and I would say just look at the archives and see what you find and the local/national archives may be able to advise you on their archives. There is of course a difference between genealogy (names and dates) and family history ('fleshing out the bones' of the information).
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 pm

It all depends what you want to achieve. Whether you are looking for study with an academic qualification, or whether to learn more about aspects of genealogy/family/local history. I think that most on-line courses take in aspects of most of these. You may also find they take in creating and using data-bases for family history purposes.

Most of the courses offered by universities will, I think, require an application with your reasons for wanting to undertake the course - they need to know that you are up to coping with the work. That said, they should be very well organised.

I have a friend who has been doing studies through, I think, Dundee University and enjoying it, she has started off with the certificate and then can go on to the Diploma and if really keen, a bachelor degree. Some years ago I undertook Oxford's Adv Diploma in Local and Applied History - a 12 month course which was very well organised, materials supplied and support excellent, including on-line forums and chat with tutor. Several people who did this have gone on to do Masters degrees!
Sylcec

Postby pollymac » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 am

Many thanks for your thoughts, junkers and Sylcec. I think I will continue looking into the various courses for the moment. I am researching both English and Scottish records but not particularly seeking an academic qualification.
pollymac

Postby researchgranny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 am

Dundee also do non degree courses called Beyond the Internet, parts 1 & 2 and are each 6 weeks long. They cover records both sides of the border and are a good introduction to more archive based resources. I did these before embarking on their M .Litt on Family and Local History, and have completed 4 modules to date.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Postby researchgranny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 am

Forgot to add, search for CAIS Dundee (Centre for Archives & Information Studies)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Postby pollymac » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 am

Thank you, research granny, I will investigate courses at Dundee.
pollymac

Postby Smallan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

I am studying Local and Family History via distance learning at University of Dundee. Some of the modules are excellent and others not so good. Personally, I am studying simply to enhance my own skills in researching (primarily, Scotland, England and Ireland) and the course is good for that. It's not proper 'Open' Learning as study and assignments are scheduled and time bounded but if you can handle that, it's not bad. You need to be extremely motivated as tutor support varies considerably as does the opportunity for student interaction on the discussion boards.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Smallan

Postby pollymac » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Thank you, Smallan, very informative.
pollymac

Postby pollymac » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 am

Update - I decided to try the Pharos route. The two courses I have completed so far have been very good - both very interesting and informative. I have learned about some really useful resources which have extended my knowledge of family history and enabled me to add depth to my family tree. Highly recommended.
pollymac

Return to Genealogy chat