Moderator Control Panel ]

rachel watson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

rachel watson

Postby toby65 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Rachel Watson born rachel jackson 1905, not sure where possibly the north east of England, married Charles Watson sometime before 1931 i cannot find the marriage though i have searched the index's had 2 children from 1931 to 1934 with another man in Pocklington yorkshire this man she lived with untill her death in 1959, they never married, need some help or advice on why i cannot find the marriage to Charles Watson as this would help me unlock her early life.
toby65

RE: rachel watson

Postby mrsaverage40s » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 am

A Rachel A JACKSON married a Joseph WATSON (Apr-Jun quarter 1919 Middlesborough 9d 1498). Could this be the marriage, as many people went by different first names? I would suggest trying this one if you have exhausted all other options.
mrsaverage40s

Postby toby65 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Thank you for this, i did come across this marriage before but dismissed it because the age my Rachel would have been in 1919 was 14, although i think you could marry at this age with parental consent? the only clue i have to her being born in 1905 is her death certificate which was in 1959 and her age is given as 54 and the only clue to her being from the north east is from someone who vaguely remembered her speaking with a slight geordie accent.
toby65

Postby mrsaverage40s » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 am

I have had people in my tree 'bend' their ages upon marriage, one way or another.
The other problem that you may have is that if the death is registered by someone who didn't know the deceased well and guessed the age, or by confusion over ages such as in the case of one family member I had, that kept telling people 'I'm nearly 95 you know', which when we finally managed to track down the birth cert-found that it was really 82 !!
My philosophy now is always triple check everything, with certificates, census records, electoral records, and following siblings-whatever it takes to save you following the wrong line.
Just an idea, but if she died that young, would there be a post mortem, and could there be more details there ? Could you find more details if you trace her children downwards ? Or maybe the man she lived with ? Where did you find the Charles Watson details from?
mrsaverage40s

Return to General research queries