Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth certificate delay

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Birth certificate delay

Postby leslam » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:34 am

I ordered a death certificate last Tues 27th. The advised despatch date was yesterday, 2nd Feb. I received it on Saturday 31st Jan so there doesn't appear to be a general holdup.
I've been researching for 15 years now, and since certificates have been issued from GRO, I've never waited more that ten working days.
A quick tip:
Make sure that you change the option at the bottom of the first page, so it indicates that you know the full GRO ref. The default is that you don't know it -if you leave that selected, it doesn't let you enter all the information and it will def take longer, because they have to search for it.
A long despatch date displaying in you basket should alert you to the fact that you have forgotten to change the option.

Hope the certificate arrived soon - otherwise, ring them ....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
leslam

Postby coopernicola » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 am

How annoying your certificate has still not arrived. This may be because of problems finding it at GRO. Definitely time to give them a call. Make sure you have the Ref number.
coopernicola

Postby grandpadragon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:37 pm

I have finally got through to them on the phone, twice they said they were busy and were cutting me off! :evil: I emailed them a couple of times last night and again this morning only to get silly long replies telling me how to apply for a cert etc. they obviously don't read emails.
It turns out they sent the cert on 15th. A replacement is now being sent but could take up to 5 days before sending.!!! I am very disillusioned with them and hope that the move to digital certs comes about soon
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Postby grandpadragon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:02 pm

At last!! it arrived today, so their last estimate of 5 days was accurate. It was posted yesterday 1st class. What a kerfuffle their contact system needs sorting.
The salt in the wound is that the cert raised more questions than it answered!!
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat