Moderator Control Panel ]

Old Parish Registers

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Old Parish Registers

Postby SoozOne » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 am

I've been looking through some downloaded copies of Phillimore's Old Parish Records for Hampshire and Berkshire in the hope of being able to find some missing ancestral marriages. Makes very interesting browsing. It did make me realise how difficult it can be to find information. There were many notes of missing registers, as well as illegible undecipherable entries, torn pages, whole decades missing. A rather frustrating exercise.
There were a couple of quite unrelated to my particular search, vicars' notes in the Hampshire Parish records which gave me pause for thought on the circumstances:

"117. David Truman and Sarah Dickson. Nov 1789
*mem. This woman married in her shift only"

and a 'done a runner' ...

"The said Ann Andrews had a husband who absented himself
upward of seven years without tending her any notice of his being alive".

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Re: Old Parish Registers

Postby Editor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Women marrying in their shift. It's as bad as mums shopping in their pyjamas! I'm not surprised the vicar was not impressed...
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:23 am

SoozOne wrote:I've been looking through some downloaded copies of Phillimore's Old Parish Records for Hampshire and Berkshire in the hope of being able to find some missing ancestral marriages. Makes very interesting browsing. It did make me realise how difficult it can be to find information. There were many notes of missing registers, as well as illegible undecipherable entries, torn pages, whole decades missing. A rather frustrating exercise.
There were a couple of quite unrelated to my particular search, vicars' notes in the Hampshire Parish records which gave me pause for thought on the circumstances:

"117. David Truman and Sarah Dickson. Nov 1789
*mem. This woman married in her shift only"

Was this a second marriage?
It was commonly thought that if a woman married in nothing but a shift her new husband would not be responsible for her earlier debts.
I.E. She did not bring anything but herself into the marriage.

SoozOne wrote:and a 'done a runner' ...

"The said Ann Andrews had a husband who absented himself
upward of seven years without tending her any notice of his being alive".

In this case Ann Andrews was being legally married for a second time without her husband being dead.
I.E. The marriage though voidable would be a legal marriage and not a bigamous marriage.
If here ex husband turned up and wanted to take up with her again the second marriage would be voided.
Such marriages were allowed due to the Act to restrain all Persons from Marriage until their former Wives and former Husbands be dead [1604.]
See - http://tinyurl.com/mgwfg2v

Cheers
Guy

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum[/quote]
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby SoozOne » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 am

Ah. Thank you Guy for shedding light on the 'shift' marriage. Makes sense now that the vicar would make a note, and he wasn't merely being a tad snippy.
I had heard of it but long ago and had quite forgotten. Very brave of the bride, and in November too.
Now I can stop imagining all sorts of other scenarios. Lol.

And thankyou too for the AWOL first husband explanation. I realised that the declaration was necessary for a second marriage. I loved the wording.

I had been skimming through the downloads. Think I'll restart, go slower and pay more attention. The snippets are interesting insights, makes up a little for the fruitless search.

Many thanks.

S

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby Editor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks Guy, great explanations. I didn't know that about the 'shift'. You learn a new thing every day!
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Genealogy chat