Moderator Control Panel ]

Recording Diary

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Recording Diary

Postby warpo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:03 am

Hi all, you know the hardback diaries we all buy each year to keep track of our day to day upcoming events. Well for a couple of months ive been looking for a nice hardback a4 diary that only has the date and month on each page, ie: 12 December or 31 July. No mondays tuesdays or years etc.

The intention is to enter B M D in it so i can glance what happened in my family history this day in whatever year.

Is there such a product? Ive looked on ebay and google but cant find such a thing.
Thanks in advance,

Dean

Sent from my GT-I9505 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
warpo

Re: Recording Diary

Postby ermin79 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:32 am

You may well have already considered this and I know it isn't exactly what you wanted, but lots of places which sell stationery (Smiths, Sainsburys etc) have got attractive hard backed A4 notebooks with lined pages. You could put the date at the top of each page and use it like a diary.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby warpo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:49 pm

A lot of messing about, but like you said, I bought a blank book :(
warpo

Postby coopernicola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:30 pm

You can buy 'birthday diaries' which have dates without years. Not sure how widely available they are but the good old internet may help!
coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Try searching "any year diary" or "perpetual diary". This will give you a few options.
coopernicola

Postby SoozOne » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Have you thought instead of a large perpetual wall calendar? I have one started in 1977 for family dates and occasions, which is still going strong. Its so nice to have on the wall too.
Some libraries and museums put them out with historical prints etc. which adds to the ancestral record. Mine has prints of c1800s early settler Auckland.
Or you could make up your own, with photos of family importance. There are places which print individual calendars.

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby warpo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:07 pm

nice idea, but I talk about the family tree all the time and it bores the rest of my family. Getting a wall calendar would only be going over the top where they're concerned.

Besides, I struggle just getting my yearly Liverpool FC calendar on the wall lol
warpo

Postby ksouthall » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:11 pm

warpo wrote:Besides, I struggle just getting my yearly Liverpool FC calendar on the wall lol

I'm not surprised! LOL

Back to your blank book, this sounds like a really good idea. How are you laying out the information? Are you starting with the most recent at the top or going in chronological order? I'm tempted to do the same so it would be interesting to find out if you have any tips.
ksouthall

Postby scottie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 am

How about a Letts any year diary A5 in black. Really lovely quality and a page per day with just the month and date at top of each page. Look online - you can buy them for about £6. I bought one from officepad. Thanks for the great idea!

Sent from my SM-T310 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Postby warpo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:34 am

Well the idea is to view the book on whatever day I think about it, look in the book and for example see that on this day my 3xgreat grandparents got married. Maybe the next day someone was born, died etc etc, you get the gist.

Re the book, at the moment I have just got a large A4 2015 diary, that I tediously tippex'd the year and days out, all that is left is the month and actual date.

Re the entries, it's hard to enter them chronologically as with it being a pen and paper. For example if on the 1st Jan 1900 my granparents got married and then I entered it on the diary, I can't the next day, find out someone was born on the same date but an earlier year and enter it before the last entry. The way i've done it is by highlighting the year, so as you can see the chronology in front of you.

If anyone has a better idea on hard recording like this, I too would be interested.
warpo

Next

Return to Genealogy chat