Moderator Control Panel ]

Wonderful first programme

Talk about Rory Bremner's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

Wonderful first programme

Postby JohnS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 am

What a great start to the new series. Rory and his brother were so lucky having a mother that archived so much material. Those shiny medals looked so much better on the TV screen than in the magazine.

Rory's comment about peoples' lives silting up was very profound and got me thinking how true it is. The trouble with the microfilm at the BL was a good part to include in the programme. Looking forward to the other ones now.
JohnS

RE: Wonderful first programme

Postby pentre » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 am

I was a bit disappointed. Really, Rory didn't need the help of the BBC - he just needed to visit his brother and rummage through the stuff his mother had archived.

It would have been good to go a bit further back, or look at a branch of the family they didn't already have well documented. I'll read the magazine article now and see if that adds anything to the programme. In my opinion not up to the standard of the last series.
pentre
pentre

Postby colliehouse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:23 am

I enjoyed the programme but I can see that for some people who have been researching for years it might have seemed a bit basic. I wonder though if it isn't the sort of information that people just starting out would very much benefit from. The reminder to check through old family papers, the recent history and the information about how to start looking seemed to me to be helpful. I also thought the aspects of history repeating itself with 'absent' fathers was very well dome. Hopefully Rory will use that information to make sure he doesn't miss out on the vital years of his daughters lives and a few more dad's might reprioritise their work/life balance.
colliehouse

Postby Annie08 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:20 am

I watched it last night - I've now got it on again on BBC 2. I enjoyed it. I wish I had a family member who archived everything.

My boss watched it too - so good discussion today at work.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby RichardCrane » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 am

Having just watched the first episode of Series 6 of WDYTYA on BBC i-player and I found Rory Bremner's family history quite interesting. As his father was away in the army throughout his life, Rory was keen to learn much more about him, with plenty of assistance from his brother Nigel. Rory was very amazed to hear Joe, the Dutch medic, telling him about his father in such a way to paint a picture into Rory's mind - as well as the viewer's mind! Also, another thing, using your shoulder to support a machine gun!?! - Joe the Dutch medic must've being brave - REALLY BRAVE!!
RichardCrane

Postby ksouthall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm

I found the Rory Bremner episode very interesting, but I was surprised that the Dutch medic who had the machine gun rested on his shoulder had not gone deaf because of it.
It's a shame for the rest of us that many of our ancestors were not as good at keeping things as Rory's father, grandmother and mother.
ksouthall

Postby patsavdd » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:20 am

I also thoroughly enjoyed the programme,for the reasons already mentioned. However,could somebody please instruct an obviously incompetent how to access the "unseen footage" mentioned on page 23? If the sign of a good meal is that one gets up wanting more,well,I am hungry! Regards to Rory-it seems that his father should have been awarded the M.C.!
patsavdd

Postby Simon in Bucks » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:43 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: colliehouse

I enjoyed the programme but I can see that for some people who have been researching for years it might have seemed a bit basic. I wonder though if it isn't the sort of information that people just starting out would very much benefit from. The reminder to check through old family papers, the recent history and the information about how to start looking seemed to me to be helpful. I also thought the aspects of history repeating itself with 'absent' fathers was very well dome. Hopefully Rory will use that information to make sure he doesn't miss out on the vital years of his daughters lives and a few more dad's might reprioritise their work/life balance.
[/quote]

Agree with the thoughts that the programme was great for those people just starting out.

Also, it's good to mix the 'type' of programmes about - otherwise they'll get slightly dull.
Simon in Bucks

Postby JohnS » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:40 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: patsavdd

I also thoroughly enjoyed the programme,for the reasons already mentioned. However,could somebody please instruct an obviously incompetent how to access the "unseen footage" mentioned on page 23? If the sign of a good meal is that one gets up wanting more,well,I am hungry! Regards to Rory-it seems that his father should have been awarded the M.C.!
[/quote]

Have a look [link=http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/stories.php?cid=50279]here[/link]. Scroll down the page and you'll see the button on the left.
JohnS

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:46 am

I enjoyed it too. Somtimes programmes made about recent relatives can be [b]more[/b] interesting because people knew them.

You can really flesh out their character or imagine how they were. There will also be more photographs on offer. When you are investigating people born 1766 it's not so easy! Photographs are unlikely and you don't really get an insight into their character from just reading scraps of info like: they have been ill so the parish worthies have allowed them more flour as a result! [;)]

Or you find a relative born 1830, died 1832, was accidentally burnt. It's quite unlikely being so long ago you will ever find out how. No death certificates and coroners records being so thin on the ground.

It also helped that Rory seemed genuinely interested in his family history. I don't think that's been the case for all the celebs.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Return to Rory Bremner