Moderator Control Panel ]

The Nunn family of Norfolk

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The Nunn family of Norfolk

Postby trevornunn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm having trouble finding the parents of my great grandfather, George Nunn, born about 1851. His marriage certificate shows that he and his bride, Elizabeth Richardson were living in Cullingworth, Yorkshire, West Riding in 1877. My father thought that George may have come from Norfolk. On this marriage certificate is George's father, William Nunn. I have traced a William Nunn (born 1822 in Wretham, Norfolk) who was living in Bingley, just four miles from Cullingworth, on the 1881 census but can find no matching records for his birth, baptism, marriage or death. This census shows his wife, Ann, born in 1825 in Thompson, Norfolk. The 1871census shows a George Nunn born about 1849 in West Wretham to William and Ann and living there aged 22. The census for 1871 has a William, born 1821 and his spouse Ann living in West Wrethams with 7 children, including a George. Does this prove that my father was correct in thinking that our ancesters came from Norfolk and migrated to Yorkshire.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me further.

Trevor Nunn
trevornunn

RE: The Nunn family of Norfolk

Postby mrsaverage40s » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:53 am

Please forgive me Trevor but I'm a bit confused (doesn't take a lot![:D]).
George Nunn, born c 1851 was listed as being born where from the censuses ? On what censuses have you found him for sure ?
A lot of people did migrate from Norfolk, so it is possible that your George's father William was one of them, but if we can establish whereabouts George was born, we can then trace William. Also what was William's occupation listed as on George's marriage certificate? These things can help us track the correct one.
mrsaverage40s

Return to General research queries