Moderator Control Panel ]

76th Regiment of Foot c1790

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

76th Regiment of Foot c1790

Postby seasalora » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:06 pm

William Sidebottom was a soldier with this regiment between 1794 and 1803 when it saw service in India. I have located him in the musters during this period when he rose from the rank of private to sergeant - his death occurred in 1803 and he was buried in Camp Choona.
I want to find his attestation papers, hoping that they will give me some personal details i.e., his age and perhaps where his place of birth was, marriage status etc. His two daughters were baptised 1798 and 1800 but I have never been able to locate a marriage in the Indian records either in FIBIS FamilySearch or FMP.
Can anyone help me with any information re the above Regiment during this period?
Regards
seasalora
seasalora

Re: 76th Regiment of Foot c1790

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm

My understanding is that attestation papers of that era survive only when kept as part of the pension stuff. No pension, no attestation papers.

Regimental musters survive I think in most cases at Kew so will, I think, give you where the regiment was. As will a regimental history.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:38 pm

The link below is from the National Army Museum which gives an overview:-

http://www.nam.ac.uk/research/famous-un ... iment-foot

The Duke of Wellington's Museum is in Halifax.

The National Archives do not appear to have any record of him in series WO 97 nor the less detailed WO 121. Do you know where his daughters were baptised?.
junkers

Postby seasalora » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:32 am

Musters - W DO12O 12/8191, also War Office Regimental Pay Lists 8192. Wm Sidebottom is entered here from 1793 (Recruits from Europe) to death in 1803. As I understand it the Regiment was in Southern India from about 1790. Even if I can find where these recruits originated from or what ship they came out on, it will all help.
Military history is very new to me so I tend to 'scramble' for and with details! I am based in Australia, and I am looking for advice as to where to search further.
The baptism of his daughters occurred, Dinapore, Bengal Jan 1798 and Illihabad, Bengal May 1800.
Thanks for what you have sent, will follow up.
regards
seasalora
seasalora

Postby Sylcec » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:04 am

I agree with Adrian. There will not be any attestation papers surviving, because no pension was payable.

The India Office records, which are only copies of original church and chaplains records from India are now estimated to be no more than about 70% complete. Certainly for the time period of interest to you surviving records of b,m,d, are very patchy indeed. I am curious about the place of baptism of Mary in 1800: "Illihabad". A bit of 'googling' only produces very early references to a place with this spelling. Therefore I believe that it may be an early representation of the more usual Allahabad.

Having now looked at both the baptism records for William Sidebottom's daughters, I note that neither record includes the name or status of their mother. This is like most of the records of baptism on the same pages. However, a few records do, such as the one on 26 Sept 1798 at Dinapore for Katherine Jane, daughter of Captain James Crockett and his wife Henrietta. So, in the end the question has to be asked - was this extra information given as a matter of status; or were the rank and file soldiery not in fact married, or at least not married to a European woman. There is, unfortunately, no evidence either way, but I consider it most likely that the mother of the Sidebottom girls was either a native or eurasian woman and that no formal marriage took place.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:46 am

Sylvia - re the missing mother's name. Is it possible that this is a function of where the baptisms took place? Baptisms in England were in transition at this time - some churches included mother's names, some didn't. Though I would also agree that high status baptisms would include a lot more detail regardless, including the mother's name.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Adrian - you could be right, but the pages of the baptism registers which include these Sidebottom children cover a number of locations throughout Bengal Presidency. Chaplains were few and far between - due to climate and lack of hygiene, they were often "here today, gone tomorrow" so baptisms were sometimes performed by army officers. However - what was recorded would have been policy of the chaplain or whoever.

At the time we are speaking about there were few fully European/British women available, and apart from those soldiers (usually NCOs) who were permitted to take their wife on the strength, most men formed relationships with native or mixed race camp followers. Over the last approx 18 years I have looked at very many of the register copies, and the mothers of children are usually recorded and defined as "...... and Frances his wife"; "........ and Frances an East Indian"; "........ and Frances a native woman"; or even "...... and his wife Frances, a Portuguese"; and a myriad of other variations. In the case of children of soldiers of the 76th foot, even though only the officers have their wives recorded, I am inclined to believe that if the rank and file were legally married to British women, then they would also be identified.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Sylvia - that sounds reasonable. A mix like that must be driven by status - and that would come from rank and race, I'm sure.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby seasalora » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 am

Sylvia, I do agree re the marriage, and believe that Sidebottom married a woman of native descent, as a couple of surviving photos from the 19C do indicate. However, it would appear that the chaplain after 'days of travelling' from camp to camp, may have been more approving of all babies and children being baptised, as perhaps most of these 'other ranks' were off fighting somewhere! I have noticed that when one of these children first married at approx.16yr, her husband to be had been granted permission from the commanding officer.
I think I should try for the regimental history of when and where these recruits may have left for India as I am at a loss to work out just where this Sidebottom may have originated himself. Again, it is great picking up on all your ideas.
Regards.
seasalora

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:13 am

It might be useful to have a look at the pension records of soldiers in the 76th to see if it's clear where the regiment recruited from, when. It can be tricky using FMP or Ancestry to search for soldiers by regiment as the papers may not have wholly consistent regimental names or indexes. And it's not the sort of thing you want to do on pay per view.

I certainly agree with your suggestion of looking for a regimental history. Have a look at Wikipedia first to get a view on which regiments this one amalgamated with later on, as there may only be a composite history of the amalgamated regiment.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Military help