Moderator Control Panel ]

I need help starting

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

I need help starting

Postby Mrs Milner » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi
I've not really had much trouble with my dad's mothers side but my mums side and my dad's dad's side is proving a challenge. All I know for my Grandad is his full name was Peter Alan Mayfield and was born on the 24th March, I'm not sure where or when but I think it may have been 1927, I can't even remember the year he died. All I know of my grandmother is her name was Irish Tillings and was born in wales somewhere, her husband died when my mum was 10 so I nothing about him and no living relatives to ask.

Any ideas on where I can start with these searches? I'm still rather new to all this.

Thank you you in advance.
Mrs Milner

Re: I need help starting

Postby ColinB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Have you got your parents' birth certificates ? If not that would be the place to start. They will give you your Grandparents names and you can then look for marriage certificates and start to work back . Regarding Irish Tillings do you mean Iris Tillings ? If so there are a couple of records which may apply :

Iris Tillings Mar 1940 Bedwelty 11a 129

Iris Tillings and Bernard G Price Jun 1958 Bedwelty 8c 197

The above are just possibles - you need to start as I said and work towards them.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Mrs Milner » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:14 pm

No I don't have my parents birth certificates. My mum had a falling out with my grandma when she married my dad at 18 and we only reconnect just before her death. We never found my mums certificate and my dad'd mum has no idea where his is and can never remember her parent in laws names and my dad can't remember either as he was young when they died! So I'm struggling.

Sorry I did my Iris Tillings. I'll take a look at those, see what my mum thinks. The second one looks promising as my mum maiden name is Price Thank you.
Mrs Milner

Postby sdup26 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:50 pm

There's a death record for a Peter Alan Mayfield, June Q 2000, Rotherham, Reg No D55B, District 045ID, entry No 64, which gives his birthdate as 24/3/1927. The only birth 'match' with that year I can find is for Peter A Mayfield JQ 1927, Lincoln 7a 788, mother's maiden name Norval. There are family trees on ancestry that give this man's mother as Ivy Doris Norval, and father Harold Benjamin Mayfield. Does any of this sound relevant to your search?
sdup26

Postby Mrs Milner » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Possible, There was some talk of a Lincoln link but no one could be sure. I've never been given any possible names for his parents, my great grandparents.

how could I be sure these are the right names without the certificates. Or would I need to get copies?
Mrs Milner

Postby Artognou » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Your best bet would to get certificates, they are usually (unless you do have definite information passed down) the most surefire way of knowing.

I have had issues before on my Scottish side and have tried in vain to find a 2nd great grandmother and also a 2nd great grandfather, after a very dry, fruitless trail, I finally discovered that they were both illegitimate.

I'm not saying that there will be any of that in your family, but in that instance, it is always better to be safe than sorry, because certificates will always hold valuable information.
Artognou

Postby Mrs Milner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:11 am

Thank you for all of you help, I called a few of the family last night who put me in touch with my great uncle who now lives in the US. He was able to help me on my Granddad fathers side to a point over email.

However my great grandma (my grandad's mother) is proving very difficult. No one remembers her her and all I can find is her marriage to my great grandfather in the marriage index I know her name was Ivy Doris Norval her husband was Harold B Mayfield. Married in Lincoln. But I can't find anything else!! She is proving a mystery.
Mrs Milner

Postby meekhcs » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 am

Have you considered that Ivy Doris Norval may have been married before and therefore no other records are likely to exist in that name? I would definitely purchase the marriage certificate as that should have her Father's name on it and will make your search much easier.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby Mrs Milner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 am

no I hadn't considered. I suppose it is possible but she was married I believe early 20's But I guess she could have been a widower. Marriage certificate it is then ;)

I have considered adoption as my Partner is adopted and doesn't have the name born with.
Mrs Milner

Postby meekhcs » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:57 am

Norval is an unusual name, and the spelling is open to interpretation! I checked the Lincs FHS surname list and it did appear, but only once, Mayfield however was a very common name in Lincoln. It may be worth contacting them but they don't have any searchable records online. Everything is on cd to purchase.The web address is www.lincolnshirefhs.org If you live some distance away they may be prepared to do a lookup for you which would save the cost of a certificate. Always worth a try!
Sally
meekhcs

Next

Return to General research queries