Moderator Control Panel ]

This Forum

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

This Forum

Postby peter kent » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Currently people are allowed to edit their messages even after there have been replies.

This makes a nonsense of threads and can make contributions appear idiotic even though they were reasonable responses to the original question.

It would be good if the management tweaked the forum to prevent messages being edited after a reply has been posted.
peter kent

Re: This Forum

Postby ColinB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:22 pm

This sort of thing can be a little irritating ,particularly as the member in question has also placed duplicate posts in the area reserved for messages about Live Web Chats. However this is a fairly rare occurance and I would not like to see the ability to edit removed as there are occasions when it can be useful - such as wanting to edit a post to say that it is completed , for example , or realising that one has made an error.

Colin
ColinB

Postby callbrian » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi
I can see Peter's point but also agree with Colin. I have been guilty of posting a reply, then realise I have made a silly mistake, especially with dates. I have then gone back in to edit and re-posted.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Sylcec » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Also referring to a point Colin made - I have been concerned to see some new members posting in the "Read this first" board, which was clearly (to me anyway) set up by Jon for him to post read-only type information to users of the forum.

I sympathise with Peter who feels he has been made to look a fool. Let me assure him - that certainly is not the case. We learn not to respond in future to posters who behave dis-courteously. :)
Keep up the good work!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Guy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 am

peter kent wrote:Currently people are allowed to edit their messages even after there have been replies.

This makes a nonsense of threads and can make contributions appear idiotic even though they were reasonable responses to the original question.

It would be good if the management tweaked the forum to prevent messages being edited after a reply has been posted.

I used to be on one forum where they often changed posts and on that forum I developed the habit of quoting the original post (as I have done with Peter's post, above to illustrate my point).
Such quotes do not change when the original changes so it lets others see what one is responding to.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to Genealogy chat