Moderator Control Panel ]

Lydia Whitaker nee Causer

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lydia Whitaker nee Causer

Postby veelo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 am

I have a large rambling family tree but a silly gap has been driving me mad for years, I wonder if anyone can give me any fresh ideas? The story passed down from my Grandad was that his Mother (Lydia Whitaker nee Causer) died during childbirth (his own) in 1895. Originally the Death records were searched (my Auntie did most of the research remotely, employing local researchers, way before internet resources) no details of Lydia's death were found. We traced my grandad's birth cert. to find that the birth was registered by his mother some 2-3 months later. I was waiting with baited breath for the 1901 census to come online, at first it was a real disappointment as I couldn't find anyone, however after a year and a subscription to Ancestry, I discovered my Grandad, his sister and their Dad, but no sign of wife Lydia, the name had been transcribed as Whitetkar, they were lodging with another family and the father was listed as married, of course I know this could be a mistake but it prompted me to start trawling later death indexes, as yet I have found nothing, I wondered if Lydia had remarried, and looked for a few years, however Whitaker is misspelt so many times, I don't feel I could ever cover every combination. I would be really grateful to hear if anyone has had a similar problem, or could help me see this in a new light.
veelo

RE: Lydia Whitaker nee Causer

Postby mrsaverage40s » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 am

I have tried to look quickly with just the info that you've given, and if the marriage in Aston in 1892 is the correct one (Lydia CAUSER to Frederick WHITAKER), the only Lydia CAUSER births I can find are in 1883 and 1888 (which are obviously too young), so the only possible I can find is an [b][i]Eliza Lydia [/i][/b]CAUSER born 1852, however there is a Lydia CAUSER (born 1870) with mother Maria in the 1891 census who is not in the birth index and may be your one. I wonder if your Lydia could have had the birth name of Eliza Lydia-just a thought if you get stuck, might be worth checking.

My other advice would be firstly to track your Lydia backwards, through birth (her father's name will be on the marriage certificate) and censuses and then once you have that, then trace her birth family forwards-it is very possible she could be staying with family in the 1901 census-even if she has remarried or changed her name. I have done this and found some elusive relatives !
Good luck.
mrsaverage40s

RE: Lydia Whitaker nee Causer

Postby veelo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Thankyou mrsaverage40s for taking the time and trouble to help. Lydia is George and Maria's daughter, born in King's Norton Birmingham. Through your message I realised that, as my Aunt had researched this part of the tree, I had never actually looked up Lydias birth, I assume my Aunt only knew it from the census information and I do have the marriage cert. I have just found her on the (free) births as Lydia Causea (it is just a transcription error)!!!! the misspelling of Causer gives me absolutely no hope with Whitaker now! I think I must now embark on a search of her family to see who was where on census night and if she was staying with anyone, so thank you very much for your suggestion.
veelo

Return to General research queries