Moderator Control Panel ]

Non-Conformist Registers

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Non-Conformist Registers

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:26 pm

I have hit a stumbling block when searching for my ancestor, Silas Gower, who I believe was born somewhere around Hailsham, East Sussex, in about 1795. I have not been able to find a baptism record for him and believe his parents were non-conformists.
He had an older brother, Richard Gower, who was born somewhere around Hailsham in about 1778.
I believe he may also have had a sister, Mary Gower, born in about 1787, somewhere around Hailsham, who married a Samuel Holman from Chiddingly.
I also think there must have been other siblings, but cannot add details of them until I know Silas's parents' names.
I have not found a Silas Gower mentioned in the Church of England baptism registers of any of the local parishes. I had a very quick look at the baptism indexes of the non-conformist registers for Hailsham and Heathfield but they did not go far enough back to show Silas Gower.
Can anyone suggest where else I might be able to obtain this information, or am I going to have to accept defeat on this one?
Alternatively, is there a possibility that Silas was baptised under a different name? i.e. if he had the same name as his father, he may have been baptised with his father's name but known as Silas to avoid confusion within the family?
As I said, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Katherine
Last edited by ksouthall on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

RE: Non-Conformist Registers

Postby familyhistorynut » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:50 am

Is this your Silas Gower?

Name [b]Silas GOWER[/b] Date [b]13 Mar 1875[/b] Age [b]80[/b] Notes [b]–[/b] Yard [b]Chiddingly Parish Church SSX[/b]

It's in the burial records for Sussex.

The dates certainly match up, I hope it is yours!

Regards
familyhistorynut

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks for taking the time to look this up. Yes this is my Silas Gower as it matches with the death certificate I already have for him.

It is his baptism record that I am interested in finding, and those of any siblings he had, as this would give m the names of his parents. I have changed the word baptism in the original message to bold, rather than normal font, as this may not have been clear enough before.

Thanks again for your time,
Katherine
Last edited by ksouthall on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby mrsaverage40s » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:46 am

Hi there Katherine,
I have non-conformist relatives too, and yours may be like mine, and have been baptised out of the area, or at home and entered in a register. There is a website via The National Archives :- [link=http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk]www.bmdregisters.co.uk[/link]
which is very helpful for these tricky relatives! I have actually found baptism certificates there which list where and when the child was born, the parents, their fathers, and who was present at the birth- a real wealth of information if you are lucky. It is being updated all of the time at the moment.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
mrsaverage40s

Return to General research queries