Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish Will - what's the 23rd&24th Victoria Chapter?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish Will - what's the 23rd&24th Victoria Chapter?

Postby nugent » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 am

I wonder if anyone has had experience of looking up old wills..? I've found one of my ancestor's left a will but it is very long winded with clauses and conditions! It mentions at the end "that the provisions of the Act of the twenty third and twenty fourth Victoria Chapter one hundred and forty five" be aplied so far as it relates to his will! I am having trouble understanding it all and have no idea what this victoria chapter is. I've tried doing a search online but had no joy. He was in Belfast if that makes any difference. Any suggestions would be most welcome!
nugent

RE: Irish Will - what's the 23rd&24th Victoria Chapter?

Postby mrsaverage40s » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:00 am

I think that it relates to Land tenure in Ireland. If you look on a search engine for :
The Landed property Improvement and Landlord and Tenant Consolidation Acts 23 & 24 Victoria, Chapters 153 & 154 by Thomas De Moleyns, you may be able to purchase this and find out more.
Good luck.
mrsaverage40s

RE: Irish Will - what's the 23rd&24th Victoria Chapter?

Postby nugent » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks very much for your reply and the tip. I shall certainly go and look that up. It might make the Will a little less mind boggling! Thanks
nugent

Return to General research queries