Moderator Control Panel ]

Death Certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Death Certificates

Postby ohforf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:13 am

I am after a little advice, I have found on ancestry the entry for my grandmothers death certificate in 1996. It gives me the registration district, the inferred county, register number, district and subdistrict and entry number. Now when I go to the GRO to order a copy of the certificate it asks for District and number, Entry Number and date of registration. So I know the year, entry number and district but am not sure about the district number. Is the district number the district and subdistrict number or the register number?

Many thanks.
My other signature is much better than this one.
ohforf

RE: Death Certificates

Postby patsavdd » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:23 am

Your problem surprises me! When ordering certificates, I have only ever given names,date and place,(as far as I know),without any numbers - and never had a problem. Incidentally,I have discovered that one cannot always trust the "facts"(!") on a certificate. My 2xgreatgrandfather's informant was given as "son-in-law", when in fact it turned out to be the son of the dead man's sister.By chance, I had already discovered her marriage and family on Ancestry - at least, it confirmed it was the "right" death certificate.

Regards, patsavdd
patsavdd

Postby ohforf » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:13 am

Thanks for your answer, I will assume that the numaber I need to enter is the district and subdistrict number.

I know what you mean about trusting facts, on a marriage cert I have it shows the bride being 26, when I know beyond doubt she was 19.

ohforf

Postby pentre » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:16 am

I had this problem with post 1984 certificates and lost the money I sent because ancestry didn't supply the district number. I wrote to the GRO to ask what information they needed as I was as confused as you are, and got the following reply:

[i]Applications may not be accepted without a District Number because a further search of our indexes would need to be carried out by GRO staff in order to complete the reference. For your information [link=http://www.findmypast.com]www.findmypast.com[/link][/i][i] a website provided by Family Research Link which operates on a 'pay per view' basis does provide the information we require.[/i]
[i][/i]
I informed Ancestry about the fact that their site doesn't include the information required, and assumed they had rectified the matter by now. I now subscribe to findmypast - they do supply the district number.
pentre
pentre

Postby Annie08 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi

As well as using Freebmd and Findmypast websites I also use Ancestry to find my GRO references when ordering any certificates, ie., birth, marriages and deaths. When you find the person you are looking for put the cursor over 'view record' and a 'preview' window appears. Click on 'show details' and you will get year, quarter of registration, volume and page no. By clicking on page no. will give a little more info. I have used this info to order from GRO and have never had a problem.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby pentre » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:30 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Annie08

Click on 'show details' and you will get year, quarter of registration, volume and page no. By clicking on page no. will give a little more info. I have used this info to order from GRO and have never had a problem.

[/quote]

Hi Annie

Yes, I've also used ancestry for many years, and for hundreds of certificates pre-1984. The problem is after 1984, which is the original query.

The form the GRO gives you to fill in is completely different from the pre-1984 orders. They don't ask for volume and page number - they ask for District and number etc as [link=http://forum.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/showProfile.asp?memid=1259]ohforf[/link] says. When I sent for my certificate ancestry did not give all the information needed. I posted the GRO the page from Ancestry (that you quote in your message) and they replied that it did not contain the information they required (I've quoted part of their reply to me in my last post). They suggested findmypast DID have this information. I forwarded their reply to ancestry, and assumed they now gave the information that is required, but as I don't send for such recent certificates very often I haven't had the chance to check this. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has ordered a post-1984 certificate recently, and whether the information is now given.
pentre
pentre

Postby ohforf » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 am

Thank you pentre, you post is very helpful and from the sound of it has saved me a bit of money. I am due to order the death cert this month and will now look it up on "find my past".
ohforf

Return to General research queries