Moderator Control Panel ]

Benjamin Etherden

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Benjamin Etherden

Postby Galindanne » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm looking for any info. on Benjamin and his family. Born around 1800 in Essex or Sussex was sent to Australia as a convict 1823 on the Ocean 2.
Can anyone help please
Galindanne

Re: Benjamin Etherden

Postby junkers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 am

Do you know where and when he was convicted as Essex and Sussex are a little way apart, Essex is quite well indexed for their archives. The most useful records are likely to be the Assizes (ASSI) records at The National Archives, Kew, but without more information it is a needle in a haystack.
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 am

There is a tree on Ancestry for this man, it even has sources!
Apparently born abt 1803 at Herstmonceaux, Sussex.
Ancestry now has a substantial collection of indexed and digitised records for convicts sent to Australia. If you don't have (or can't afford) a subscription yourself but do live in Australia then I suggest you go to your local library or LDS Family History Centre where you should be able to access the records. There are far too many separate records for me to detail them here. However, if you have consulted them already but have specific questions about the family, please fee free to post them!
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm

I have been looking through various old posts and have transcribed the following for you:-

According to the England and Wales Criminal Registers 1791 - 1892 on Ancestry, Benjamin Etherden was tried at the Sussex Summer Assizes in 1822. He was tried for burglary and sentenced to death.

According to the UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books 1802 to 1849 on Ancestry, Benjamin Etherden was convicted for "home breaking and stealing goods value £7 and 3." He was aged 21 when he was tried at Lewes on 3rd August 1822. The death sentence must have been commuted to life imprisonment as Benjamin arrived in Portsmouth from Horsham on 3rd September 1822 where he was held in the prison hulk Leviathon. He was sent to New South Wales on 12th April 1823.

Benjamin appears to have been granted an absolute pardon in Australia on or around 16th August 1843.
Last edited by ksouthall on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Interestingly, I have found information about a Harry Etherden in the UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books 1802 to 1849 on Ancestry, as follows:-

Harry Etherden arrived in Portsmouth on 7th February 1826 from Horsham. He was aged 25 and had been convicted of felony at Lewes on 19th December 1825. He was also held in the prison hulk Leviathon and was sentenced to 7 years. It looks like he received a full pardon on 16th July 1830, although the writing is not entirely clear.

It would be interesting to find out if Benjamin and Harry were related.
ksouthall

Postby Canningtown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Benjamin Etherden is my ancestor, he was my father's grandfather. My grandad's name was Benjamin,so I assume was named after him.
Canningtown

Postby Canningtown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:20 pm

I believe he did well for himself, there are Roads in NSW named after the Etherden family. There is a racing team called Etherden racing and a company called Etherden glass.
Canningtown

Return to General research queries