Moderator Control Panel ]

Building in Gloucester City, Gloucestershire

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Building in Gloucester City, Gloucestershire

Postby Azraetta » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Can someone tell me what is this building. It is on Lower Westgate Street, Gloucester City, Gloucestershire, England.
I have overlaid a historic plan of Gloucester and it seems to corresponds to St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
Attachments
Is this Pen Meadow nr Westgate Business Centre.jpg
Is this Pen Meadow nr Westgate Business Centre.jpg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Azraetta

Re: Building in Gloucester City, Gloucestershire

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:54 am

have been reading this, which has several mentions of Lower Westgate Street, its buildings and alterations, but no mentions of St Bartholomews Hospital. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42302 . I notice the building has a sign on the side - but illegible on the photo - if you know what it is now, then do a google search for the name and history, which will probably produce the answer for you.
Sylcec

Postby Azraetta » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 am

Tks ... that sign is modern = "Westgate Business Centre". There is another temporary sign at the front of the building = "Bridal Fair". There are no particular inscriptions on the building itself that you can see from Google Earth. A 1805 Map from Wiki Commons shows the building as St Bartholomews Hospital ... but the building looks different to other sketches I have seen.
I'm particularly interested as my 5th GGF had a house (or two) next to St Bartholomews Hospital which were sold after his death in 1821.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Gloucester_in_1805_engraved_by_J.Roper_from_a_drawing_by_G.Cole.jpg

Transcription from The Gloucester Journal - Feb 1822
“TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, By Mr. CREED.
At the BOOTH-HALL, in GLOUCESTER, on Friday the 29th day of March 1822, at four o’clock in the afternoon, upon Building Leases, for a term of forty-one years, to commence Our Lady Day, 1822, with benefit of renewal, without fine or other consideration, at the expiration of the first fourteen years of such term, and subject to such conditions as shall e produced.
The following LOTS of LAND, situate in the WESTGATE STREE of this city:
Lot 1. A Piece of GROUND , being a parcel of MEADOW called Pen Meadow, near the Westgate-Bridge, and adjoining to the Messuage and Premises belonging to Mr Hough, and containing in breadth in the front next the Street, 16 feet, and in depth 127 feet.
Lot 2. Another Parcel of the same Meadow, adjoining to lot 1, and containing also in breadth in the front next the Street, 16 feet, and in depth 127 feet.
Also seven Lots or Parcels of the same Meadow situate on the West side of Saint Bartholomew’s Hospital, and between the same hospital and the said messuage and Premises of Mr Hough, each lot containing in front next the Street, 23 feet 3 inches, and in depth 127 feet.
For plans of the premises, and further particulars, apply at the Office of Mr. Wilton, St. John’s- Lane.
The Gloucester Journal - Feb 1822
Azraetta

Postby Azraetta » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:59 pm

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42318#s3

"St. Bartholomew's Hospital ... stood in the Island between Westgate bridge and the Foreign bridge."

"The first buildings at the site of St. Bartholomew's Hospital apparently dated from Henry II's reign." (1355).

"Under the statutes of 1636 St. Bartholomew was to maintain 50 almspeople (20 men and 30 women) ..."

"Between 1787 and 1790 the hospital was completely rebuilt ... The new building, designed in gothick style ... had a road front with blind arcading, the central bays projecting, and a semicircular bay at the rear which housed the chapel. ... it was restored in the early 1980s as a shopping and craft centre."
Azraetta

Postby Researcher1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 pm

There is no plaque of any kind on this building to shed light on what it was formerly - I went to check. It is currently occupied by two businesses, one being a bridal gown business (hence the sign for a wedding fair). The other buildings on the Westgate Park are of much more modern design. In the 16th century St. Bartholomew's was the largest of three hospitals in Gloucester but, as you found, the current building was built in 1790. Apparently it later became almshouses and was converted to commercial premises in 1971. The historical information comes from Gloucester, a history and celebration by Chris Witts, published by Ottakers in 2004

Doreen

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Researcher1

Return to Photo identification