Moderator Control Panel ]

June 2014 issue: Focus on Criminal records

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

June 2014 issue: Focus on Criminal records

Postby junkers » Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

I am surprised by the articles in the June 2014 edition "Focus on Criminal records" that no mention has been made of the various series of records at The National Archives (TNA), Kew. In particular the records of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP series, some are indexed by surname only or are including in "and another/others" as in the case of Dr Crippen), the HO Office files (series HO), the Prison Commission files (PCOM) and the Calendars of Prisoners (HO 14O which are closed for 75 years) and The Central Criminal Court (CRIM series). Where the files are closed then you can ask TNA under the Freedom of Information Act (you should expect at least a month before the record can be released), as long as you have a rough date and place, to release all of the file or in the case of the Calendars an extract. If the person is less than 100 years old you will need to provide a death certificate. It is often a case of using different records to get the complete picture.

Whilst not all records are online a visit to TNA to see the records or more costly asking for a copy of the file is possible.
junkers

Re: June 2014 issue: Focus on Criminal records

Postby Editor » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks for this Junkers. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I'll have a look at those records now!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat