Moderator Control Panel ]

Occupations

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Occupations

Postby coltcar84 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi

When my father traced some of his family ancesters, he found that one of them, born in 1803 was a 'mine burner'. Does anyone have any idea what that is? We think it could be something to do with finding out what chemicals might exist in a mine or if there was any potential for explosion? My father was a metallurgist during his working life which might link him with his ancester if analysis of materials was involved in mine burning.

Can anyone help at all?

Many thanks
coltcar84

RE: Occupations

Postby pre1837 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Just a stab in the dark
Could he have been one of the people who used to produce Quicklime by mixing limestone and coke together and burning it to produce quicklime that was used, among other things, in the building industry, ie Lime Morter after it had been slaked by mixing with water?

Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

RE: Occupations

Postby ksouthall » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:43 am

I tried entering [b]"mine burner"[/b] on Google and several results linked mine burning to iron works in Wales and Shropshire, so I guess there may be some link between mine burning and obtaining iron ore or smelting iron.

I found the following about [b]"lime burners"[/b]:-
Lime was used for making building mortar, which was in demand for the cathedrals springing up all over the country.
The Lime Burner had a thankless if important task, heating chalk in a kiln at 1,100?C to make quicklime.
The dust it produced could cause blindness and spontaneously combust and burn.

As there appear to be two distinct occupations, perhaps you could let me know roughly where your ancestor lived so that I could try and find out more?
Sorry I can't offer any more suggestions,
Katherine
ksouthall

Return to General research queries