Moderator Control Panel ]

Death Certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Death Certificates

Postby ohforf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:00 am

Hi everyone,

I am very new to researching my family tree and would like some tips on how you look for the correct death certificates. Do you search every year from the last known date that the deceased was alive or is there an easier way? Sorry if this seems a silly question but I have only just got the family tree bug.

Martin
My other signature is much better than this one.
ohforf

RE: Death Certificates

Postby cathyhudd » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:16 am

Hi Martin, if you have just been bitten by the family history bug be prepared for it to take over your life somewhat!
If you know the name of your ancestor you can go onto bmd.org.uk and do a search for the correct person using their name and likely place of death. They give you a list of possibles and you order a certificate using the reference numbers given. Although my surname was Smith I have ordered lots of certificates and only twice have I received ones that do not relate to my family. Good luck with your search. Cathy
Looking for information about:- Harpers of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Buckinghamshire. Whaymans and Goodings of Suffolk and Essex. Jacques of Leicestershire. Hudds, Pontings and Partridges of Gloucestershire.
cathyhudd

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Martin,

It depends when this person was born. Obviously if he or she was born a long time ago you can track them through the census to see when they stop appearing on it and then you only have a 10-year time frame to search for their death. This would be easy on a site like FreeBMD:

[link=http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl]http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl[/link]

However, if the person was born after 1901, it is harder to achieve. If you have their marriage certificate that is a start and then you could see when the person stopped fathering or becoming a mother to children - that's another clue.

If you belong to a site like Ancestry you can check the death indexes from 1984 - 2005 by name and date of birth so that is another form of elimination; but if they died before 1984 it is a long hard slog through the Death indexes after the last known year of their being alive.

Good luck!

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby keldon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:00 am

You have not said which century. One technique I use for the 20th century is often quite successful. Using the telephone directories on Ancestry.co.uk, I search to see if they had a telephone. When their name drops off the directory that may well be as a result of their death. You can also check to see if in later years the partner takes over the telephone number.

The date they drop off the telephone directory is your starting point to go back through the registers. I have normally found the death within 1 - 5 years prior to them dropping off the directory.

Hope this helps.
Keldon

historyhouse.co.uk
History of Essex
keldon

Postby ohforf » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:33 am

Thank you all so much for your tips, this has given me some really good pointers. I will be looking at when my grandparents died and all I know at the moment is when my parents were born, 1933+1934. So I must look from there onwards, I don't have any family to ask for dates etc. Still I am enjoying the chase and have signed up with the ancestry website.
My other signature is much better than this one.
ohforf

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:33 am

Glad the tips were of help. Your tip was excellent Keldon! [:)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Return to General research queries