Moderator Control Panel ]

Vivid II and D of Well 2 [Issue 88]

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Vivid II and D of Well 2 [Issue 88]

Postby RGO in Mansfield » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Many ship names that appear on RN service records are shore establishments or moored training ships and are known as 'Stone Frigates' in the RN. It is helpful to prefix these names with HMS and Googling them shows photos and descriptions. I believe that the second ship annotated in shorthand refers to HMS Duke of Wellington and the suffixes: II and 2 refer to them being the 2nd respective ships of that name to have served in the RN.
RGO in Mansfield

Re: Vivid II and D of Well 2 [Issue 88]

Postby RGO in Mansfield » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Correction to my statement of ship name numeral suffix. The figures 'II' and '2' appear to refer to administrative categories of different groups of personnel serving under the same 'ship' name with some being victualled and accommodated in other geographical areas. I am indebted to a comprehensive discussion on the same subject (in particular HMS Vivid) on the following website:
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/i ... sc/wns.jpg
RGO in Mansfield

Re: Vivid II and D of Well 2 [Issue 88]

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks for your reply. However, you might also want to respond in the original thread, which can be found here: topic10767.html
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Magazine chat