Moderator Control Panel ]

Celia Heritage (death records)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Celia Heritage

Postby JanetMay » Fri May 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Celia, Not sure if I am replying without any offence. Thank you for your replies and consideration.
I have not searched overseas GRO. I would have thought GRO might have offered to do that.
I wouldnt know how otherwise. Is it part of the GRO at Kew and can it be done by an online request?
I did apply for a Will, death & Probate from the Registry - dont tell any one but I am legally qualified though retired; it has been a great help knowing my way around. 8-)
I have also searched in deceasedonline and British Newspapers.
I take your point about spelling mistakes and the potential for hyphenated surnames and I ritually search that way. I purchased his birth record to make sure he did have a middle name.
I have searched just about everywhere which is something I make sure of doing before asking for help.
I realise he might have died without being identified, but I find it strange that it was not known in my family as so much has been recorded and the marriage was comparatively close. I have considered he might have died in England and buried in Scotland but without a death record I dont feel I can rely on just any record; I've done too much to be careless at this stage, if you know what I mean.
I didnt know about complete GRO records being with The Genealogist. I can do that of course.
I would be interested to know about GRO for overseas deaths of course.

Janet.
PS I am really not sure about how much to quote. I dont post to forum very often. Tried to post and was told to remove off site urls, but I dont see any :?:

Hi Janet
Although you have made many searches there are still other sources you can check. Firstly you don't say if you have checked the overseas GRO index (it does not capture all overseas deaths but is definitely worth searching) while there is also the Irish death index to be searched too.
<snipped> but as I say there are many other sites too.
If you still have no joy then you need to consider spelling variant/mistakes in the death index. <snipped again>
Don't forget too that the only complete copy of the GRO index is on <snipped>
this includes the many missing pages which were accidentally left unfilmed when the fiche version of the index was made and it is this which is (as far as I am aware) used by the other main websites that offer the index.
Finally there is always a chance that he was not identified at death and he was recorded as 'unknown'. In that case I am afraid you will not find him. Celia[/quote]
JanetMay

Postby JanetMay » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Good Evening Celia & everyone,
Having purchased a Platinum RootsMagic package recently which gave me 3 months subscription to The Genealogist, not having signed in before, I did sign in today. I searched every possible permutation for my second great grandfather but found nothing. That's not entirely factual; apparently in the British Newspapers there is one entry that matches the details I typed in, but it required me to upgrade to Diamond. Well I thought Platinum was the real deal so I have enquired aobut it. Having said that, I suspect they will tell me that The Genealogist is nothing to do with what I purchased.
Good Luck to everyone.
Janet

Quoted:
I have also searched in deceasedonline and British Newspapers.
I take your point about spelling mistakes and the potential for hyphenated surnames and I ritually search that way. I purchased his birth record to make sure he did have a middle name.
I have searched just about everywhere which is something I make sure of doing before asking for help.
I realise he might have died without being identified, but I find it strange that it was not known in my family as so much has been recorded and the marriage was comparatively close. I didnt know about complete GRO records being with The Genealogist. I can do that of course.
I would be interested to know about GRO for overseas deaths of course.
JanetMay

Postby Millst » Mon May 19, 2014 6:36 pm

Janet

You can find the GRO overseas indexes on BMDregisters. If you register you can search and buy some credits if you get any likely results.

Regarding newspapers, if you are in England, you may be able to search these online for free through your county library. All you need is library membership and a pin.
Millst

Postby JanetMay » Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 pm

Hello, Thank you for taking an interest.
I realise the original text of my first post was long but it really does set out how much research I have incurred. My family and the subject, my second great grandfather, are Scottish having settled in London in 1857. Can I suggest it might be worth checking out, in case I have done something, others have not. I am willing to support anyone if they need to search as much as I have.
I am fortunate to have 10 generations of researched data.
As I mentioned in my first post, I searched Scotland's People for all deaths in the time frame 1886 - 1891 the date between the marriage of the marriage of the deceased and the date when his youngest daughter married when on the marriage certificate his status was designated as "Deceased".
Those who read this will remember I purchased 2 personal searches in GRO, that's the England & Wales General Register Office, as opposed to GROS, the General Register Office of Scotland.
Its possible that as a volunteer rifleman my second great grandfather could have died either in military circumstances or as a volunteer accident. He could also have died in England and left instructions to bury him in Scotland. He isnt buried alongside his parents. I have accepted I may never find him, but a Forum such as this has allowed me to share the case with you all in case it helps any one.
It is a mystery that his widow is buried alone, with the natural daughter of their first son. If any one likes mysteries, the natural child is another issue (sic) altogether.
As I mentioned earlier, I have searched British Newspapers before ever I brought this thread.
I regret to say, I have done it all, but I appreciate the suggestions, because they have a place in case we overlook something.
Janet

Millst wrote:Janet

You can find the GRO overseas indexes on BMDregisters. If you register you can search and buy some credits if you get any likely results.

Regarding newspapers, if you are in England, you may be able to search these online for free through your county library. All you need is library membership and a pin.
JanetMay

Previous

Return to Live web chats