Moderator Control Panel ]

Searchable Images of Parish Records: New Releases in 2014.

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Sat May 17, 2014 4:47 pm

We have been quite spoilt recently, with the release of wonderful images of Parish Records from Warwickshire, Dorset, several parts of London, Yorkshire and Birmingham, to list a few. It has been happening to some degree on all the main Genealogy sites. There are also lots of great new Burial records going on to Deceased Online. I have certainly found that searchable, readable, comparable images have really helped me smash down some of my brick walls, and chase up some missing links.

Please do WDYTYA? newshounds have any idea about the chronology of any new releases over this summer and autumn? I seem to recall reading something about Gloucestershire records but now cannot find the reference.

I am particularly interested in images from Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, some areas of which are poorly served by transcriptions found online. I expect that others will also have a wish list.

Thanks

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby JaneyH » Sat May 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Dear Jane, I don't know which part of Gloucestershire you're interested in, but if it's the Forest of Dean (Cinderford, Westbury, Newnham, Coleford etc) then the Forest of Dean Family History Trust has already transcribed lots of parish records which they have placed on their website for free. All you need to do is register as a user. Have a look at http://www.forest-of-dean.org.uk/

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Last edited by JaneyH on Sun May 18, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaneyH

Re: Searchable Images of Parish Records: New Releases in 201

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Sun May 18, 2014 8:38 am

Hi Janey,

Yes, you are absolutely right, the Forest of Dean site is fantastic. For those who are not familiar with it, it has a really brilliant range of information, and is very user friendly. New things are going on all the time. I found transcriptions of family members' Marriage Allegations on there recently, and it has excellent databases like Inquests and inmates of the Newent Workhouse. Some of these databases are Gloucestershire wide (I believe the Allegations are, as mine were in Temple Guiting and Guiting Power, well away from the FoD) but most relate only to the FoD and the parishes immediately around it's margin.

Best wishes

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Return to Genealogy chat