Moderator Control Panel ]

Celia Heritage (death records)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Celia Heritage (death records)

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed May 14, 2014 10:38 am

I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Celia Heritage

Postby Editor » Wed May 14, 2014 12:50 pm

It's great to have Celia come and join us on Friday to help people with their tricky research conundrums. If you are struggling to track down a death record, please reply to this thread with plenty of details to help Celia. She is only here to help for an hour, so she may not be able to find your ancestors, but she should be able to offer advice on avenues worth pursuing.

You can find full details of our web chat guidelines here: topic10614.html

Good luck and 'see' you all on Friday!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Sunny71 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello,

I have 3 death certificates that have involved coroner's inquest. How do you find out further details of the inquest?

Regards
Lisa
Sunny71

Postby JanetMay » Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I have searched for a record of the death of William Simpson DUNN (baptised that way, not hyphenated) who was born in Montrose, Scotland on 5 Mar 1833, William was the son of Alexander Dunn, Editor of the Montrose Review until he died, (still publishing today) and Martha SIMPSON.
William married in London in 1857 to Sarah SHERRET who was born in Fordoun, Scotland in 1828 not too far from Montrose and it is believed they knew one another prior to marriage.
I incurred 2 personal searches by GRO personnel without finding William's death, and I paid for numerous death records in Scotland's People.
A printer compositer by occupation when in London, following in father's footsteps, William only moved 3 times during his marriage, and once to a property in the same street. "Consistency".
William was the Informant in Scotland when his father died in 1871 and again in Scotland when his Mother died in 1877 and at home again in London for the 1881 census.
Being traditionally Scottish, my family has applied Scottish naming patterns or patronymics and I traced 3 of the same name, father William 1833, son 1863, and grandson 1895. Grandson fell at Thiepval whilst his father, with whom he signed up as volunteers, returned with his own and his son's medal. I had to find them all to make sure I was looking for the death of the right person!
William was a witness to his first son's marriage in 1886 and was "deceased" by the time his youngest daughter was married in 1890.
The 1891 census in London confirms William has died, and not just absent, when Sarah is a "widow" living with her oldest daughter.
I have Sarah's death and burial place in 1908.
William was a volunteer rifleman and as Col Sgt Wm Dunn in 1872 was awarded a pewter tankard - one with a glass bottom which I have - by Major Bowyer.I traced Major Bowyer through the military forums but didnt ever find them in a record where they were both mentioned.
William's grandson served with London Scottish which became 1/14th London so it seems that might have also been influenced by his grand father.
Two other pewter goblets each engraved with a "D" have always accompanied the pewter tankard. I have all 3. Tracing all 3 of the same name name confirmed the reason for each of them.
I have contemplated that William could have died outside of UK within the above mentioned time frame of 3 yrs. Without a death record of course one doesnt find a burial.
I am in no doubt about the soundness of my research and have the necessary documents of census,birth marriage and death through the years & where relevant to the family.
At this point I have to say I have seen people in Ancestry who think they know William's date of death but I regret to say they are wrong.
Most of the information in my possession was passed down in manuscript form by my grandmother -who lived with me as a child - and who remembered Sarah.
I hate to say it but I think I have given you a problem. ;-)
Janet
JanetMay

Postby gary 1978 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:30 pm

hello
I been trying to find a death certificate for john richard jones born on the 3rd of june 1866 and died on the 22 sept 1914 (hms cressy sinking) but can not find(cant find his birth certificate either) just hoping that you might be able to help me and also the same with his son john William jones born on the 18 feb 1896 and died on the 3 may 1918 in curragh in ireland both in the war if you can help me I would be much grateful thankyou.
gary jones
john richard jones service no 4685
john William jones service no 493387
gary 1978

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 16, 2014 8:20 am

Hello Celia,

Could you tell me whether the death certificate for a baby (England, 1929) would provide me with any details of the child's parents?

My great-grandfather had further children after with a different woman after he left my great-grandmother, and I was wondering whether their child's death certificate might shed some light on whether my grandfather was actually married to this 'new woman' or not. The newspaper report of the baby's funeral refers to the parents as "Mr and Mrs" but I have never been able to find a marriage, despite extensive searching my me and other contributors to this forum. I don't want to order the death certificate unless it might tell me something new.

Many thanks, Jane
JaneyH

Postby Editor » Fri May 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Thank you to everyone who has posted a query for Celia and thank you again Celia for coming on to our forum to help our forum users.

Please do come on during the hour and post more questions for Celia. She will plough through as much as possible over the next 60 minutes.

Thanks

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Sunny71 wrote:Hello,

I have 3 death certificates that have involved coroner's inquest. How do you find out further details of the inquest?

Regards
Lisa

Hi Lisa
You can either look for the original coroner's record or look in local newspapers. Because many coroners' records do not survive the latter should be your starting point. Nearly all inquests would have been reported in the local papers from the 1850s onwards (this is the time when local papers as we know them really got going). Start by looking at the British Newspaper Archive (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ also available on Findmypast). Don't limit your search to the area where he or she died as it could have been reported in local papers across the country. BNA does not include all local newspapers so if there is no luck then consider searching in newspapers held at local archives and libraries too. Coroners' records themselves will be held at the local record office where the death occurred and there are for further details on how to track them down and how to locate newspapers locally in my book .
CeliaH

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:05 pm

gary 1978 wrote:hello
I been trying to find a death certificate for john richard jones born on the 3rd of june 1866 and died on the 22 sept 1914 (hms cressy sinking) but can not find(cant find his birth certificate either) just hoping that you might be able to help me and also the same with his son john William jones born on the 18 feb 1896 and died on the 3 may 1918 in curragh in ireland both in the war if you can help me I would be much grateful thankyou.
gary jones
john richard jones service no 4685
john William jones service no 493387

Hi Gary
John Richard Jones' death is listed among the WW1 deaths. All WW1 were recorded by the General Register Office and you will find these listings on any good website such as TheGenealogist, Findmypast etc . If you are using FMP it comes under their Maritime Deaths Section. TG list it under their WW1 Records. His son should also be listed if he was killed in action abroad. If he simply happened to die in Ireland during the war you will need to check the Irish death index which is available for this date on Familysearch.org Findmypast and Ancestry.
One you have the entry from the death index you can order the certificate via the General Register Office Order line. There is a direct link to this and many other useful sites on the Useful Websites page of my own website at http://heritagefamilyhistory.co.uk/
CeliaH

Postby bjanderson141 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi, how do I find a Death Record after 2007 if I don't know the county in England the person died in?
bjanderson141

Next

Return to Live web chats