Moderator Control Panel ]

You're the expert

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

You're the expert

Postby Editor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

We usually get lots of responses to our 'You're the expert' page of the magazine, but this month it has been suspiciously quiet. If you've got a copy of the March issue, turn to page 45 and see if you can help solve someone's mystery. Perhaps the challenges we set were too hard this month!

Regards

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: You're the expert

Postby coopernicola » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:08 pm

There is a substantial Family Tree (Newsome) on Ancestry with James BRITTON, but this does not contain any source material. Perhaps contacting the owner may be helpful if Liz had a subscription?
I've nothing helpful for the others sadly.

Nicola

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
coopernicola

Postby Editor » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks Nicola, that's still helpful!
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Sylcec » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello Sarah - have only just started looking at the March mag, having just returned from 2 weeks in lovely Tasmania.
Re: Sergeant John Thompson Wright & fellow NCOs
As the names of the other Sergeants are not known, I can't see any other way of approaching this problem except via the Regiment. The Long Long Trail at http://www.1914-1918.net/hussars.htm gives the WWI deployment as follows:
14th (King's) Hussars
August 1914 : in Mhow in India, part of the Meerut Cavalry Brigade.
September 1914 : came under command of 14th Cavalry Brigade in Meerut Divisional Area.
November 1915 : left Brigade and landed in Mesopotamia, came under orders of 6th Indian Cavalry Brigade.
May 1918 : left Brigade and moved to Persia.

It is possible that the Unit Historical (Diary) records may be helpful, they are at TNA and may have been digitised:

14th King's Hussars, later 14th/20th King's Hussars

War Office and Ministry of Defence: Army Unit Historical Records and Reports. 14th King's Hussars, later 14th/20th King's Hussars.

Collection: Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date range: 1910 - 1938
Reference:WO 305/4338/20
Subjects:Armed Forces (General) | Army

I don't know if pay or muster rolls survive, but they would certainly have a list of Sergeants in the regiment.

It is also possible (though I haven't checked) that the India Office may hold embarkation or deployment records for the 14th Hussars going to India.

Sorry that I can't be of more specific help.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Editor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks Sylvia, we've sent the pages off for our April Q&A now, but I'll hold onto this for May and forward it on to the reader.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat