Moderator Control Panel ]

Merchant Navy - Help me crack the code

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Merchant Navy - Help me crack the code

Postby tessacate » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:34 am

I have my ancestor, Charles Vollett, seaman's ticket (attached) but to take my research on his merchant navy career further I need to crack the code contained therein.

I have found the UK and Colonial ports codes on the National Archives website (he appears to have sailed from Plymouth (his home town) and Exeter), but can find no reference anywhere to the foreign port numbers and what the rest of the Voyage details mean

If someone could tell me what the numbers mean in the 1851 and 1852 voyages columns, I would be very grateful. :?

Many thanks
tessacate
Attachments
Charles Vollett Jnr - 1846 Seaman's ticket details for web.jpg
Charles Vollett seaman ticket
Charles Vollett Jnr - 1846 Seaman's ticket details for web.jpg (138.23 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
tessacate

Re: Merchant Navy - Help me crack the code

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

You may have already done this but if you type in Merchant Navy Archives Records into Google then lots of sites come up that may help. For example, there are some guidance notes from the Maritime Maritime Museum and so on. Where did you obtain the records you have? If they were handed down to you, have you tried looking at the National Archives site?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Apologies, I see you have looked at TNA.

brunes08

Postby coopernicola » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Try crewlist.org.uk - you can enter the ship numbers and details are then given for each vessel, e.g. 523 gives details for vessel Duke of Cornwall, 1852, registered Dublin.

Nicola

coopernicola

Return to Military help