Moderator Control Panel ]

surprising connections you find

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

surprising connections you find

Postby hullnow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 pm

While researching my dad`s family I came across his 2x g/father Charles Watson b 1814 in Kirriemuir.
Charles had a brother James b 1809,he eventually became a master mason employing a number of men.
One of James apprentices around 1846 was a David Mitchell.David emmigrated to Australia as an adult apparently becoming quite successful. David`s,daughter Helen was to become world famous as Dame Nellie Melba. :o
This is just one of those unexpected things you can stumble upon in family research,it all adds to the story.
hullnow

Re: surprising connections you find

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 am

I knew from census records that a man named James Hockney was a boarder in the house of one of my ancestors, James John Jesney [sometimes John James] who was one of my Great Grandmother's brothers.

James Hockney married their daughter Louisa Kate Jesney and I discovered that they were the Grandparents of David Hockney, the world's most famous living artist!

Louisa Kate was a first cousin to my Grandfather, Alfred Ernest Albert Jesney and therefore makes me and the great man first cousins three times removed [third cousins].
I am mightily proud of this connection.
KayFarndon

Return to Genealogy chat