Moderator Control Panel ]

My Grandfathers WW1 Unit

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

My Grandfathers WW1 Unit

Postby TimRichardson193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi, Can anyone help me with the picture of my Grandfather George William Richard Richardson. He was born in Gainsborough in Lincolnshire and was injured at some stage of the war and assume the light coloured facings on the tunic are the injured soldiers uniform. From Lincolnshire I expected him to be in the Lincs Regiment however they have a Phoenix cap badge and this looks like a star. Anyone any idea what it is please?
Thanks
TimRichardson193
Attachments
George William Richard Richardson.jpg
George William Richard Richardson.jpg (190.68 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
TimRichardson193

Re: My Grandfathers WW1 Unit

Postby g w aldous » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:00 pm

I think its a worcestershire's capbadge and you are correct on the hospital uniform known as hospital blues, like a denim blue colour with white facings.
g w aldous

Postby TimRichardson193 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for your help. I will have a good look for records of a soldier in the Worcestershire Regiment.
This will help me find more about him.

Regards

Tim
TimRichardson193

Postby nwhite1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:59 pm

hello,
Personally I think this looks very much like the Cap Badge for the 'East Yorkshire Regiment' as their badge has a star and scroll on the bottom.
Also upon searching the National Archives I found a Medal Index Card for a Richardson, George R of the East Yorkshire Regiment, Reg No: 11390
Also as you are correct about the Hospital Blues uniform which makes suspect that this is the correct regiment as I see that George is on the Silver War Badge list.!!
11390 Pte Richards. George Richard,
Unit Discharge: East Yorks Reg,
No of Badge and Certificate: 500830
Date of enlistment 1.9.14 Discharge: 17.08.17
Cause of Discharge: Kings Regs 392 (XVIa) Surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)

I hope this information help and I hope im correct :)
nwhite1

Return to Photo identification