Moderator Control Panel ]

Marianne Faithfull's episode

Share your thoughts on the most recent series of the show, which features the likes of Sarah Millican, Nick Hewer and Gary Lineker

Marianne Faithfull's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello everyone,

Tonight at 9pm, singer Marianne Faithfull unravels the secrets of her Austrian mother, Eva von Sacher-Masoch. While Marianne was an icon of the Swinging Sixties, her journey takes her back to the Roaring Twenties, when Eva worked as a dancer in Weimar Germany...

As ever, share your thoughts below - we'll publish the best ones in tomorrow's newsletter!

All the best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Marianne Faithfull's episode

Postby junkers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 pm

A fascinating episode showing how life was held by a thread and fate under the Nazis and their ideology as well as swapping one group of idealists (the Nazis) is then replaced by another (the Soviet Union). It also shows how difficult decisions or forethought can save individuals when seeing the storm clouds approaching and how the link into historical events can have a defining effect, although moving to Austria before the Anschluss (German annexation of Austria) could have been a total disaster. Some people were lucky to escape in time, others were not. I thought that Marianne's comments about the 'Swinging Sixties' were interesting and revealing how life was.
junkers

Postby Guy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am

An excellent episode that vividly portrayed the programs title.

This is true family history, showing the influences that formed and changed a family and family attitudes.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby londoncalling » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 pm

firstly her mothers story was fascinating but in terms of genealogy it had no depth.. a couple of generations. But my major issue is the program focused on the Nazis definition of who is Jewish.. to the extent that at the end Marianne said 'so I am a quarter Jewish' none of the experts jumped in and said that in fact Marianne is 100 per cent Jewish. Judaism runs through the maternal line, so your father could be Pope but if your mother is Jewish you are Jewish If however you mother is not Jewish so nor are you no matter who your father is.. Sorry the Rabbis do not accept Hitlers definition as much as it may upset the program makers
londoncalling

Postby MrsS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I too felt that it was very lacking in depth. I guess the programme makers have to concentrate on what's interesting. There was nothing about her father. Rather too much emphasis on Faithfull's own hangups.
MrsS

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I thought it was an interesting story and plan to watch it again to catch up on the bits I missed.
In some ways it was similar to Minnie Driver's story in that it is often easy to see our parents only in that role and not as people in their own rights, with their own story to tell. I guess the message from both these episodes is to ask close relatives about their past while you have the chance.
ksouthall

Postby ritah » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:38 pm

I've just realised that I hadn't posted any comments about this episode but that is probably because it made little impression on me. I was rather bored and found myself channel hopping at times, it was far too self indulgent for Ms Faithfull as far as I was concerned.

Rita
ritah

Postby Barbara Winterton » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Not truly genealogy at all. This was basically a social history programme about pre-war Berlin and WWII. No depth at all and as someone else posted it was very self indulgent as far as MF was concerned.
Barbara Winterton

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2013