Moderator Control Panel ]

should i collaborate?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: should i collaborate?

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Trellech wrote:I was also 'surprised' to see my father's name listed in these public trees, something for which I have never given permission for!

Unfortunately, if your father is no longer alive and any records relating to him are in the public domain, your permission is not necessary in order for him to be listed in a family tree as your distant relatives could have traced him using online sources or those held in record offices.

Alternatively, you could request he is made private in a public tree if he is still alive.
ksouthall

Postby janreb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm

I agree with the other posts. By all means make notes of other trees but always do your own research. One tree I looked at which covers my husband's family has his great aunt married with several children - this is the same great aunt who died when she was 7!
janreb

Postby MysticDave » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:34 pm

There is a lot of guesswork on the IGI, especially where ancestors have remarried and where Americans are looking for noble lines. Check all the data for each person.
MysticDave

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat