Moderator Control Panel ]

What Software to Use?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

What Software to Use?

Postby BrianC48 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 am

Can anybody give me their thoughts on which software to use for recording my family tree along with all sources, citations, pictures, certificates etc.

I received WDYTYA Family Tree Maker 2010 when I subscribed to the magazine in November 2011 and now have just over 200 people in it. Family Historian 5 starter software was included In the October 2012 magazine which I have been using in the last month, but it does not appear to allow direct download from Ancestry or other websites, so I have entered everything manually. Having used both FTM 2010 and FH5 I am undecided whether to try Roots Magic 5 as it has had some very good press in genealogy magazines.

I am looking for the ability to produce charts, reports, download direct to the software (BMD, Census etc) and share my tree with my daughter and sister who live quite a long distance from me, as I am hoping to use email to keep the informed and updated with my progress. I am not looking to send a gedcom file as they do not have any genealogy software, or share my online tree.

If anybody has any thoughts or experience on FTM 2010, FH 5 or RM 5 about which is the best solution for me or can guide me to a comparison table I would be most grateful.

Brian C
BrianC48

Re: What Software to Use?

Postby g w aldous » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I have RM5, FH5 & FTM2012.
I find Family tree maker the easiest to use in conjunction with Ancestry website, it even syncronises with my ancestry account so that it keeps up to date, I also have added other websites to its search facility, Find my past, genealogist Etc.
g w aldous

Postby BrianC48 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 am

Hello G W Aldous.

Thanks for your reply. In your opinion do you think it is worth buying Roots Magic 5 or continue with Family Tree Maker 2010? Currently FTM allows me to download direct from Ancestry, does Roots Magic 5 let you download direct to the software or do you have to enter everything manually?

Look forward to your reply

Brian C
BrianC48

Postby g w aldous » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:06 am

I would stick with FTM, If you can get the 2012 upgrade it is well worth it for the extras.
g w aldous

Postby BrianC48 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 am

Hello G W Aldous

Thanks for your reply which is very helpful to me, I will keep with Family Tree Maker and see how to upgrade from FTM 2010 to FTM 2012, if I can't upgrade I think I will buy the 2012 version.

Regards

Brian C
BrianC48

Postby rootsedge » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

BrianC48 wrote: Family Historian 5 starter software was included In the October 2012 magazine which I have been using in the last month, but it does not appear to allow direct download from Ancestry or other websites

Brian C

FH5 takes in any GEDCOM file. So you just download a gedcom from ancestry and open it or start a project and load it. No need for manual work.
rootsedge

Return to Genealogy chat