Moderator Control Panel ]

can anybody help please?whats the uniform?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

can anybody help please?whats the uniform?

Postby berni » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 pm

I have been recently looking into my family history and have come across a picture of my great grandad whom i am named after.I know absolutely nothing about the uniform he is wearing but have been informed that the uniform is that of the 3rd prince of wales dragoon guards the uniform is that of a trooper.I dont know whether this information is correct,as the picture was taken around 1904 i have searched many records for him,his name was bernard mcdonald,and i can find absolutely no trace at all of him and i would have thought with such a uniform there would have been some record,so my dilema seems to be either his name was wrong or ive been searching in the wrong places,but i have searched everywhere i think he may have been,the only records marriage,census etc seem to be after 1904,he states he was a resident of Dundalk lough,were it asks were born on census he doesnt say he was born there and i do know there was a large military base in Dundalk,i would be very grateful for any help at all thankyou berni
Attachments
600.jpg
bernard mcdonald photo attached
600.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
berni

Re: can anybody help please?whats the uniform?

Postby g w aldous » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Ok Berni lets look at the photo.
we have a soldier in a red tunic dragoons would have gold collar & cuffs so looks about right the collar badge looks like it could be prince of wales feathers, he has a sword hanging so is mounted, he has 2 stripes denoting 6 years service and a skill at arms badge. the braiding on the sleeves is also correct for the dragoons so I would say it is correct.
the 3rd Dragoons were in ireland from 1850ish, they also went to south africa in 1904 so could this be a reason for the photo if he was going to the boer war.
I estimate that he was probably born around 1880. 15 to 18 when he joined plus 6 years service.
hope this helps a bit..
g w aldous

Re: can anybody help please?

Postby berni » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 am

Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply,and explaining alot of the detail to his uniform,I have tried everywhere i can to find him,ive been in touch with the ladysmith museum,the N/A, and lots of other places all with no luck at all,does anybody know if there are more complete data bases anywhere?Would it be more likely that his name wasn't really Bernard,I really do appreciate the time taken to look at my query,so thanks again,its been very helpful,even down to the details of the uniforms colour!Would it have took much to work your way too the position he had?Thanks again :D
berni

Postby Sylcec » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Have you looked for a service record on Findmypast? Incidentally, many men lied about their age when they joined up, sometimes being younger than 18 but hiding the fact. So, you may need to look very critically at possible service records.

I am surprised that you now doubt his name - you should be certain of this from his birth certificate, and have you also got a marriage certificate for him? If he was in the military service when he married, then this - his rank and regiment will be shown on the marriage certificate.

Who is the lady in the picture - wife, mother, sister? Maybe someone could date her clothes - do they belong to 1904 also?

You've looked at census - where does he claim to have been born?
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi again, I have just realised that Dundalk is in Ireland, not as I assumed in Scotland - oops! So, have looked at the Irish Census for 1911 and think I have found the man you referred to in your first message - he is a 26 year old brewery labourer boarding with a family in Dundalk. As the place of birth for all residents of the address is Louth, that would include Bernard. I can't see that this fits with the man in the photo you submitted.
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 am

Me again - and now found Bernard McDonald, born about 1880 in Dundalk, married with children in Seacombe, Cheshire.
Name: Bernard McDonald
Age in 1911: 30
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Lough, Dundalk, Ireland
Civil parish: Poulton with Seacombe
County/Island: Cheshire
Street Address: 19 Brotherton Street Seacombe
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Birkenhead
Registration District Number: 452
Sub-registration district: Wallasey
ED, institution, or vessel: 46
Piece: 22098
Household Members:
Name Age
Bernard McDonald 30
Cathleen McDonald 29
John McDonald 11
Annie McDonald 10
Ellin McDonald 6
Cathleen McDonald 4
James McDonald 2
Owen McDonald 3/12
John King 50
Clera Ann King 54

But this family is also difficult to fit in with the man in uniform as all his children were born in Seacombe, Cheshire, so presumably he was living there throughout the first decade of the 1900s.

Again, I think that more information about the family will help in solving the problem.
Cheers, Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby berni » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Hello sylvia,thankyou very much for your time and interest in my brick wall,I'll try to explain what i know,the lady in the picture I have been told is my great nan cathrine,she was previously married to a man named william smith the first two children are his,the story goes that william went away to sea with cathrines brothers and she 'believed he had died'and as far as i am aware she bigamously married 'Bernard' .After months of searching i found their wedding banns,through the signatures on them matching the ones on the census and she had lied on the banns,my problem seems to be that all i know of 'Bernard' is after 1904,I can find absolutely no trace of him anywhere and for a man in such a uniform i thought i would have and this is why i think maybe he wasnt really called Bernard,i have no birth certificate for him,and know of dundalk due to the census information he supplied,i also would have thought that he would have named one of his children after him as she had children another man,and just to let you know that william did return and lived with someone else just around the corner from them.Once again thankyou for your interest,p,s i am named bernadette cathrine after them both!
berni

Postby ColinB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Having read your comments about William Smith , is there a connection here on the 1901 census ?

Bernard Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Dundalk, Scotland

Civil parish: Devonport
Ecclesiastical parish: St James the Great
County/Island: Devon

Registration district: Devonport
Sub-registration district: Tamar
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 137
Piece: 2113
Folio: 36
Page Number: 19
Household Members: Name Age
John Osburn 49
Elizabeth Osburn 40
Fred Osburn 19
William Osburn 3
Florrie Osburn 1
Mary E Rice 16
Bernard Smith 22
Lawrence Mecham 21
Charles Birmingham 41
George Medcalf 25
William Gammin 24
Thomas Barns 20
James Spirway 50
Martin Kilroy 30
Owen Cowan 29
Thomas Denwood 40
William Thom 44
Dennis McKabe 32
William White 32

Whilst the record states Dundalk , Scotland . the enumerator has written Ireland in the margin.

Sorry if this is a red herring!

Colin
ColinB

Postby berni » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 am

HI colin,thanks for your interest,but his 'name' was Bernard Mcdonald it was her first husband who was named smith,I really cant find him anywhere,there seems to be the family name owen/eugene,that comes from his side as several family members have since had this name,and there is no one on the other side of the family with it.Again this is just a guess,I really have found him to be quite a puzzle,I cannot apply for a birth certificate as the only knowledge i have of him is what i have found since 1904,absolutely nothing previous to that,thankyou for taking the time to reply to my question,take care berni
berni

Return to Photo identification