Moderator Control Panel ]

photos stuck in album

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

photos stuck in album

Postby johnbailey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm

I hve a couple of hundred photos 1880-1960 they have becone stuck to pages and a lot of information is on the back of them .Isthere any way I can unstick them without damaging the photos
johnbailey

Re: photos stuck in album

Postby cwigs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Although I can not guarantee success, I recently had to remove some postcards which had been glued in an album - it was a thicker 'scrap book' style paper if that makes sense.

I was a thick, hard, yellowed glue, my guess is that old glues and more likely to be water based than more modern ones so _should_ re-activate with water.

I tried steaming off and gently sponging off the backing. I found the later worked best, and I was suprised the Ink on the postcards didnt run. I wasnt worried about the album so the pages were destroyed in the process, but the postcards came off clean, one or two did delaminate so the front started to peel from the backing.

Due to the water i found the postcards curled slightly during the process, but I left them between a couple of books to flatten them (be carefull about any residual and re-activated glue)

I tried on a card I wasnt particularly bothered about first.

Good luck, I hope it works.
cwigs

Postby Editor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 am

I would feel nervous about applying the same technique to a photograph as was applied to a postcard. Make sure you've got some good digital copies of the photographs first before you try anything. Good luck!
Editor
Site Admin

Postby johnbailey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Editor wrote:I would feel nervous about applying the same technique to a photograph as was applied to a postcard. Make sure you've got some good digital copies of the photographs first before you try anything. Good luck!

thanks i can but try
johnbailey

Postby johnbailey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:26 pm

johnbailey wrote:
Editor wrote:I would feel nervous about applying the same technique to a photograph as was applied to a postcard. Make sure you've got some good digital copies of the photographs first before you try anything. Good luck!

thanks i can but try
cwigs wrote:Although I can not guarantee success, I recently had to remove some postcards which had been glued in an album - it was a thicker 'scrap book' style paper if that makes sense.

I was a thick, hard, yellowed glue, my guess is that old glues and more likely to be water based than more modern ones so _should_ re-activate with water.

I tried steaming off and gently sponging off the backing. I found the later worked best, and I was suprised the Ink on the postcards didnt run. I wasnt worried about the album so the pages were destroyed in the process, but the postcards came off clean, one or two did delaminate so the front started to peel from the backing.

Due to the water i found the postcards curled slightly during the process, but I left them between a couple of books to flatten them (be carefull about any residual and re-activated glue)

johnbailey

Postby johnbailey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:27 pm

cwigs wrote:Although I can not guarantee success, I recently had to remove some postcards which had been glued in an album - it was a thicker 'scrap book' style paper if that makes sense.

thanks can but try
johnbailey

Return to Photo identification