Moderator Control Panel ]

Grandfather in uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Grandfather in uniform

Postby matt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have been researching my family history for about 18 months & reading the mag for the past year, boy has it given some great help in places to search, but unfortunately I've hit the old brick wall with this.
Attatched are 3 photos, 1 of my grandfather in uniform in WW1 along with a man seated beside him, enlarged is my grandfathers cap badge & the person who is seated, another enlargement of this person shows his wristwatch (with leather strap) and on his right arm are 3 stripes (sgt), though this photo could not be uploaded.
My grandfather was Thomas William Lally (though he did spell it Lalley as well, he was in Pimlico,London 12/8/1884, moved to Lewes, Sussex (1901 census) and to Ballina, Mayo, Ireland (1911 Irish census(, with 1 child aged 6 months. 3 more children were born between 1912-Oct 1914 and no others till 1921, so I assume his war service came in this period.
Past family discussions have said he was in the Royal Sussex & the Connaught Rangers. Can anyone confirm the cap badge & nationality of the soldier seated beside him .
Any info will be most appreciated, hopefully I can then find his war records.
All the best & a happy new year to one and all from Matt Lally.
Attachments
img407 (2).jpg
Person seated (close up)
img407 (2).jpg (123.87 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
img407.jpg
Cap Badge
img407.jpg (45.25 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
Sgt+Thomas+William+Henry+Lalley+(my+grandfather).jpg
Sgt. Thomas Lally & ?
Sgt+Thomas+William+Henry+Lalley+(my+grandfather).jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
matt

Re: Grandfather in uniform

Postby g w aldous » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi,
the capbadge is of the army cyclist corps, he is a sergent, the other looks like either a gurkha or indian.
I can't find him on the medal rolls.
g w aldous

Postby matt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Many thanks G W for your confirmation, thats what I was led to believe the badge was. as he lived in Co. Mayo at the time (see my previous post), is there any way of knowing which battalion he was with ? You are correct, I've found nothing on his army records.
Many thanks, Matt.
matt

Postby g w aldous » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 pm

not from the photo but I think there was an indian regiment in the cyclists
g w aldous

Postby Sylcec » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Suggest that for further searching, go to The Long Long Trail http://www.1914-1918.net/ - a search on the site for 'cyclists' provides lots of hits. There is also a link on this to the Great War Forum, where you will find many experts who may be able to help.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Photo identification