Moderator Control Panel ]

Documents, Wills, Certificates looking for a home

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Documents, Wills, Certificates looking for a home

Postby KarenQld » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 am

Hi everyone,
I have been contacted by a very thoughtful person, a builder, via Ancestry who has found a large cache of family documents in a house - Wills, certificates etc. relating to an Edmund Stirk and his wife Sarah and families - and he is trying to find interested descendants.

He contacted me as my family tree was on a public site, and I am descended from the Stirks of Kildwick. I had a very quick look at Edmund and knew he was not in my direct (& extended) line as far back as Henry Stirk b1774 of Kildwick. I believe Edmund's father was George, so possibly a cousin or sibling of my Henry's.

He has included a very long list of names mentioned in Wills. If anyone is interested in more information please let me know. I have emailed the magazine as well hoping they may print the names.

Karen
ps I should have mentioned he contacted another Stirk researcher on the same site that he thought should be interested but they weren't. I think he joined the site specifically to look so he has access to that already.
KarenQld

Re: Documents, Wills, Certificates looking for a home

Postby Sylcec » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am

Hi Karen
I hope that you will advise "Mr Builder" to deposit the cache of records at an appropriate archive or family history society. So - if these records have been found in a house in England, then the local County Record Office, or County Family History Society would be good places to deposit them so that they may then become available to researchers in the future. The Society of Genealogists in London is always pleased to receive such material also. If they have been found in Australia then presumably there may be other researchers of the STIRK name here and you could suggest one of the larger State based societies as a repository.

Hopefully we will all learn a lesson from your interesting post - to make arrangements for the deposit of our research materials and outcomes after (or before) our decease.
best wishes, Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby KarenQld » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Sylec,
yes, I was thinking along the same lines myself. He could have easily tossed them but he appreciates their importance and wanted to find relatives that would be interested. So if nothing comes of that I'll look into that, I'm sure he would be happy to.

Just to add to initial information.

I have been trying to have a closer look at Edmund Stirk, as it seems mostly relate to him and his family, and I don't think he had any children with his wife Sarah. I have looked at names and he seems to have left in his will to his remaining siblings and their children.

These documents would be relevant to descendants of/and researching George Stirk and Sarah Gregson of Kildwick, Yorkshire, as Edmund was one of 11 children. Or George's parents, who I believe were Henry Stirk and Jane of Kildwick, Yorkshire, they had at least 7 children.

K.
KarenQld

Postby JennyRyder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello, I live in Yorkshire and am friends with some Stirks of North Yorkshire, I'm sure they'd be glad to have the family archive if it links to them, so I'd be grateful of any further information! Jenny
JennyRyder

Postby KarenQld » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 am

JennyRyder wrote:Hello, I live in Yorkshire and am friends with some Stirks of North Yorkshire, I'm sure they'd be glad to have the family archive if it links to them, so I'd be grateful of any further information! Jenny

Jenny, I have not heard back recently, he may have contacted one of the societies I suggested or one of the people he had contacted may have changed their mind about wanting them.
KarenQld

Return to Genealogy chat