Moderator Control Panel ]

British Newspapers

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

British Newspapers

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Great news for anyone with a findmypast sub - British newspapers are now available to search on the site.

Colin
ColinB

Re: British Newspapers

Postby Millst » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 pm

You can search and view British newspapers for free through your county library, either in the library or at home online using your library number and a pin number. You can download or copy articles for free. Only disadvantage is that it's very addictive.
Millst

Postby Sylcec » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Colin - my understanding is that the newspapers now on the FMP site are the ones they are digitising from the BL and to be found on the British Newspaper Archive for a separate subscription. I do have a BNA sub, but not one for FMP, and I am told that to access the papers on FMP you need to pay an increased subscription fee. Not sure if all that makes sense .... :?
Sylcec

Postby ColinB » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Sylvia,

I don't have a BNA sub and I've found I always waste units because they expire so quickly. I do have a FMP sub and the access to the papers was just added , I didn't have to pay extra for it.The only drawback I have found is that the results aren't presented as clearly as they are on the BNA site and others have complained that the site keeps crashing - this hasn't happened to me. If someone is able to access papers through their library membership that's obviously great but that's not an option I have at present.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Millst » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 am

For anyone in the UK who is interested, all that's needed is a County Library ticket and a pin (from the desk at your local library). If you search on google for "libraries" or "county libraries" you get most county libraries and you can check to see what they offer. It should be under:
Reference Library Online
Newspapers and Magazines online.
The usual ones are: 19th Century Newspapers, Digital Times Archive, Guardian and Observer archive, Who's Who, Who Was Who, National Dictionary of Biography etc., and possibly more.
Millst

Postby Emmeline » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 pm

My local library doesn't offer access to the 19th Century newspapers, only the Times Archive. I joined Lancashire libraries which offers access to these and others despite living in East Sussex. It's easy to join online and they send you a card so you can then log on. I've found it very useful.
Emmeline

Postby Sylcec » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:34 am

Colin - that's interesting, as I know someone who has had to pay an extra 17 pounds to access the newspapers on FMP - but maybe they have a different level of subscription to start with.

Millst & Emmeline - the BNA (British Newspaper Archive) - now included on the FMP - is a different newspaper digitisation to the "British Library Newspapers" collection which were digitised by Gale some years ago and are made available by many local library and archive organisations to holders of readers tickets etc etc. Yes, the source for the BNA is the Newspaper Archive holdings of the British Library, and there is inevitably some cross-over with titles previously digitised by Gale and other providers; however, it also includes many additional titles and more are being added all the time.

For ease of use, I do find downloads etc a bit clunky, though searching and filtering results is good.
I guess as with all on-line offerings practice makes perfect!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Millst » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:54 pm

I have now tried the newspaper archive on Findmypast. My query brought up over 4,000 items. As with the newspaper archive through my county library, the same story comes up in many local papers as they took a lot of the news from the London papers. Only thing is that on Findmypast, although I chose years 1864 - 1874, they did not come up in date order (as you would expect with newspapers), so I went through pages and pages of the same thing going from 1864 to 1874 to 1871 and back to 1866 and 1865 etc.

To be fair, a couple of stories came up that I had not found before.

You would need to have a proper subscription as each item costs 5 pay-as-you-go credits and you would soon run low.
Millst

Postby fentiger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Millst wrote:For anyone in the UK who is interested, all that's needed is a County Library ticket and a pin (from the desk at your local library). If you search on google for "libraries" or "county libraries" you get most county libraries and you can check to see what they offer. It should be under:
Reference Library Online
Newspapers and Magazines online.
The usual ones are: 19th Century Newspapers, Digital Times Archive, Guardian and Observer archive, Who's Who, Who Was Who, National Dictionary of Biography etc., and possibly more.

This is very interesting and I am going to see if my library does it. I've got a subscription to Find My Past but my local papers aren't on there.
fentiger

Postby Sylcec » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Although not immediately apparent, you can ask for the hits to be ordered according to "relevance" (never quite sure how they decide what is relevant!) or date. This option is found immediately above the first hit.

Millst wrote: Only thing is that on Findmypast, although I chose years 1864 - 1874, they did not come up in date order (as you would expect with newspapers), so I went through pages and pages of the same thing going from 1864 to 1874 to 1871 and back to 1866 and 1865 etc.

Also, don't forget to use the very good filtering system - found in the left hand column - where you can narrow the hits to a region, a county, a newspaper, or by year.

good hunting!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Next

Return to Genealogy chat