Moderator Control Panel ]

Henriette Ridgway

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Henriette Ridgway

Postby Sue McGuire » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:07 pm

I need help to find when my Great aunt died and is buried. She was born Henriette Ridgway in Swansea in 1880, the daughter of John and Kate Ridgway. Kate died in 1887 so Henrittesr father John was left to care for her, her sister Alice (b1876) and brother William (b1875).William died in 1888. John and his daughters Alice and Henriette appear on the 1891 census, but Henriette is not with the family in the 1901 census. I have tracked her down in the 1901 census as living as a servant in Whitechapel, and then marrying a John Judah Fisher in 1902.
John Judah Fisher’s father is Morris Wenberg and it is likely he anglicised his name when he came to England. The name Wenberg suggests a German origin however he lists himself variously as Polish and Russian. John and Henriette were married in Whitechapel Registry Office.
I can find no trace of Henriette or John Fisher after 1915.
There is a record of Henriette (Hetty as she called herself) Fisher marrying Isaac Cohen in 1918 but I have been unable to establish if it was my great aunt.
Henriette is the only family member not in the family grave in Swansea. My aunt was unaware of her existence. I am unsure why she left her father and sister to go to London at 19years of age.
She lived in Whitechapel at various addresses with John Fisher.
I can find no record of John Fishers death or Henriette’s death as Fisher or Cohen. John was a Jew and I have searched the Jewish records with no success.
Can you help me find her?
Sue McGuire

Re: Henriette Ridgway

Postby phsvm » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

A complete wildcard here but have you checked passenger lists to ensure she didn't go abroad? If they're both missing then maybe they did emigrate.
phsvm

Postby ksouthall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm

If Henriette did marry Isaac Cohen, there are several possible death records for her showing on Ancestry. Here are some possibilities:-

Name: Hetty Cohen
Birth Date: abt 1879
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1962
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: Ilford
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 5a
Page: 233

Name: Henrietta Cohen
Birth Date: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1933
Age at Death: 52
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 398

You may need to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate of Hetty Fisher and Isaac Cohen, in order to find out whether or not this is your relative. If it is the right wedding, it should then give you an approximate year of birth for Isaac Cohen. You could then try and find a possible death record for him. Using the place of death, this could help you determine which of the above records relates to Henriette. You could then purchase the most likely of the above death certificates for Henriette to find out what happened to her.

Unfortunately, you may have to spend some money in order to find out. Alternatively, you could just drop this line of enquiry altogether.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I have found a possible death record for Henriette and John Judah Fisher's son, Isaac. In the 1911 Census he is aged 1 year and 7 months, making his year of birth 1909. The death reference is as follows:-

Name: Isaac Fisher
Birth Date: 16 Aug 1909
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1980
Age at Death: 70
Registration district: Wandsworth
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 15
Page: 1284

His probable birth record is as follows:-

Name: Isaac Fisher
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1909
Registration district: Mile End Old Town
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1c
Page: 368

Henriette and John's daughters, Rebecca and Fanny are residing with William Thomas Brand and his wife, Mary Ann Brand, in Bethnal Green in the 1911 Census. The Brands had not had any children of their own. I think Mary Ann's maiden name was Grote and that she was a widow when she married William Thomas Brand in 1891, so can't see any obvious connection with the Fisher family, unless they were paid to take in the girls as boarders.

It may be worth tracing Henriette and John Fisher's children and their descendents in order to find out what happened to her. It is even possible that Isaac Fisher's relatvies still live close to where he died.
ksouthall

Postby Sue McGuire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks everyone!! I have something to look at now. Keep going!!!
Sue
Sue McGuire

Postby Sue McGuire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 pm

phsvm wrote:A complete wildcard here but have you checked passenger lists to ensure she didn't go abroad? If they're both missing then maybe they did emigrate.

Yes I have - nothing at all there! Thanks for the tip though!
Sue McGuire

Postby Sue McGuire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:49 pm

ksouthall wrote:If Henriette did marry Isaac Cohen, there are several possible death records for her showing on Ancestry. Here are some possibilities:-

Name: Hetty Cohen
Birth Date: abt 1879
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1962
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: Ilford
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 5a
Page: 233

Name: Henrietta Cohen
Birth Date: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1933
Age at Death: 52
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 398

You may need to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate of Hetty Fisher and Isaac Cohen, in order to find out whether or not this is your relative. If it is the right wedding, it should then give you an approximate year of birth for Isaac Cohen. You could then try and find a possible death record for him. Using the place of death, this could help you determine which of the above records relates to Henriette. You could then purchase the most likely of the above death certificates for Henriette to find out what happened to her.

Unfortunately, you may have to spend some money in order to find out. Alternatively, you could just drop this line of enquiry altogether.

Thanks.
I will check this all out. It is strange that I cannot find John Judah Fisher (her husband)either. Strange...
Sue McGuire

Return to Genealogy chat