Moderator Control Panel ]

Plymouth Blitz

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Plymouth Blitz

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Yesterday I was looking up some information about some distant relatives and found that one had died as a result of enemy action. Looking into this further, I found that both he and his wife, plus his mother-in-law, were all killed in April 1941 during the Plymouth Blitz.

It seems that there were 59 bombing attacks on Plymouth in which 1172 civilians were killed and 4448 were injured.

My father-in-law has mentioned that, when he was a teenager, he and his father went to the cinema whilst his mother and sister went out shopping. When they returned to their home in Croydon, the street had been bombed.

It brought home the experiences of people during the war much more and reminded me that it wasn't just London, Liverpool and Coventry that were bombed.

I wondered if anyone else had any experiences they would be interested in sharing.
ksouthall

Re: Plymouth Blitz

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:21 pm

If anyone is interested, I have placed a link to a BBC website which contains stories about the Blitz in various towns and cities. It may also be of interest to teachers and pupils studying World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... ies/c1161/
ksouthall

Return to Genealogy chat