Moderator Control Panel ]

John Barnes' episode

From Annie Lennox and Gregg Wallace to Alex Kingston and Patrick Stewart, join us every week to share your thoughts about the most recent series of WDYTYA?

John Barnes' episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Good afternoon!

Footballer John Barnes appears in tonight's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, which you can watch at 9pm on BBC One. The former Liverpool and England star traces his grandfather’s key role in the campaign for Jamaican independence, discovering that the "dull" man he remembers from childhood was maybe not quite so dull after all.

As always, share your thoughts by posting in the thread below.

All the best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: John Barnes' episode

Postby junkers » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 pm

An interesting and different episode (how long will we have to wait for John Bishop's episode?), but the documents about the "4H's" seem to have been from The National Archives (TNA), Kew, and no mention that they were barred from entering Trinidad in 1952 because of alleged Communist links (also at TNA).
junkers

Postby callbrian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 am

Hi
Yes another interesting episode.
It was good to see a footballer who seemed to have intelligence and to already know some of his family history. Unfortunately the BBC have done it again! Why do they leave an episode out of the series and just say it will be shown later in the year.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Loish711 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 am

Another one I really enjoyed, I'm not a football fan so I wasn't expecting to be that enthralled but I was. What I found very interesting was his ancestors different approaches for getting on in life depending on the era they lived in and the opportunities they were given. When I watch these programmes I feel I either want to see someone I can connect to with my research/ background or be taught something about an issue I know very little about. The John Barnes episode certainly was an history lesson and for all his wealth and fame as a footballer he came across as a quite humble character.
Loish711

Postby Marktewk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:13 am

John Bishop episode - provisional date for broadcast Wednesday 12 December. BBC don't confirm their schedule until 2 weeks before broadcast.

Source: John Bishop Facebook page and Wikipedia.
Marktewk

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2012